This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.4885 / 54°29'18"N
Longitude: -1.8703 / 1°52'13"W
OS Eastings: 408496
OS Northings: 510361
OS Grid: NZ084103
Mapcode National: GBR HJCJ.WR
Mapcode Global: WHC5Y.7FMW
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 22 July 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1160065
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111620
Location: Barningham, County Durham, DL11
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Barningham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Barningham St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
NZ 0810 BARNINGHAM BARNINGHAM VILLAGE
15/31 The Old Rectory
Rectory, early C19. Pebbledashed rubble with tooled ashlar plinth and tooled-
and-margined dressings; Welsh slate roof. South elevation 2 storeys, 5
windows irregular, all 12-pane sashes with slightly-projecting sills. Hipped
roof with small stepped-and-banded stack on right slope. 4-bay left return
shows similar fenestration (except in blind right bay) and right-of-centre
flush-panelled double doors in raised stone surround; 2 stepped-and-banded
lateral stacks. Right return similar but without doorway. Rear elevation
shows 20-pane sash stair window.
Interior: Entrance lobby has old half-glazed door with plain overlight;
other doors of 6 panels, in moulded doorcases with paterae; panelled shutters.
Dining room. has cornice with egg-and-dart and foliage, and ceiling rose.
Moulded cornices in sitting room and library. Central hall has panelled arch
on paired consoles, cornice with paterae at corners and open-well stair with
stick balusters, moulded handrail and curtail step. Moulded elliptical arch
on stairhead. Bedrooms have contemporary fireplaces with old ironwork.
The rectory may be coeval with the 1816 rebuilding of the parish church.
The attached servants' wing to the north-west is now Glebe Farmhouse (q.v.).
Pent single-storeyed extension on north-east is not of special interest.
Listing NGR: NZ0849610361
Other nearby listed buildings