History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kirkleatham Hall Farm

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dormanstown, Redcar and Cleveland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.589 / 54°35'20"N

Longitude: -1.0803 / 1°4'49"W

OS Eastings: 459528

OS Northings: 521919

OS Grid: NZ595219

Mapcode National: GBR NHWC.XR

Mapcode Global: WHF80.CXSD

Entry Name: Kirkleatham Hall Farm

Listing Date: 23 June 1952

Last Amended: 29 April 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1160085

English Heritage Legacy ID: 60326

Location: Redcar and Cleveland, TS10

County: Redcar and Cleveland

Electoral Ward/Division: Dormanstown

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Kirkleatham

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Redcar

Listing Text

REDCAR KIRKLEATHAM
NZ 52 SE
4/70 Kirkleatham Hall Farm
(formerly listed as
23.6.52 Kirkleatham Hall Stable
Block).
G.V. II*

Stable block; south range early/mid C18, possibly by James Gibbs,
incorporating earlier barn at east end and with earlier C18 rear west wing.
East range and north return mid/late C18, possibly by John Carr, with late
C18 and early C19 coach houses adjoining rear, and c.1800 tack room
adjoining north return. Brick with vertically-tooled sandstone dressings.
Lakeland slate roofs; Welsh slate and clay pantiles on coach houses. On 2
sides of courtyard, (barn and stables on north and west sides listed
separately). Palladian style. 2 storeys; south (entrance) front eleven
bays, the 4th and 8th projecting. Carriage entrance in middle of central
3-bay round arcade, with broad rusticated piers, plain imposts and
archivolts. Recesses flanking entrance hold round-headed windows. All
ground-floor windows have sashes with glazing bars in rusticated surrounds;
the left end bay now holds door. 9-pane sashes in plain keyed surrounds on
first floor. Panelled doors under keyed gauged brick flat arches, in inner
returns and within entrance arch. Chamfered quoins, heavily-moulded cornice
and straight parapet with balustraded panels over middle and projecting
bays. Hipped roof with 4 corniced ridge stacks. East range 13 bays;
slightly-projecting 3-bay centre and 2-bay ends have rusticated quoins and
chamfered quoin strips. Central 3-panel double doors and open-lattice
fanlight. Segmental arcades at ends, those at left end blind. Ground-floor
windows have renewed metal casements. All ground-floor openings have
rusticated surrounds with keystones. Altered first-floor windows in plain
keyed surrounds; that at right of entrance now holds loft door. Similar
cornice, parapet and roof. 2-bay north return: part of incomplete north
range. Left bay has similar windows to east range. Slightly-projecting
right bay has tall altered door and overlight in rusticated surround with
double keystone, under circular window with plain surround. Single-storey
tack room has altered openings and 3 eaves courses of stepped brick. Rear
of south range has lower 2-storey wing with remains of sashes and blocked
windows in west side. Rear of east range shows central staircase tower with
2-storey link wing, flanked by 5-bay and 4-bay single-storey lean-to
coach-houses with elliptical-headed openings. 3-stage circular tower has 2
windows with remains of fixed lights in west face. 4 courses of stepped
brick at eaves; conical roof, wood cupola with paired Roman Doric order and
plain glazed openings under lead ogee roof, with ball-and-spike finial.
Interiors: south range has stone dogleg staircases with stick balusters and
ramped handrails. East range has central entrance hall with 6-panel doors
and blind doorways in eared architraves, cross-groin-vaulted ceiling
springing from cornice, and herringbone-pattern cobbled floors. South and
east ranges have collared queen-strut roofs with 2 levels of butt purlins
and re-used tie beams. Tower has remains of timber newel stair. Tack room
included for group value. Former stable block to Kirkleatham Hall,
demolished 1955. Disused and dilapidated at time of resurvey.


Listing NGR: NZ5952821919

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.