History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gatehouse 120 Metres North East of Kirkleatham Hall Farm

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dormanstown, Redcar and Cleveland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5897 / 54°35'23"N

Longitude: -1.0791 / 1°4'44"W

OS Eastings: 459604

OS Northings: 522006

OS Grid: NZ596220

Mapcode National: GBR NHXC.5H

Mapcode Global: WHF80.DWCT

Entry Name: Gatehouse 120 Metres North East of Kirkleatham Hall Farm

Listing Date: 23 June 1952

Last Amended: 29 April 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1160114

English Heritage Legacy ID: 60328

Location: Redcar and Cleveland, TS10

County: Redcar and Cleveland

Electoral Ward/Division: Dormanstown

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Kirkleatham

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Redcar

Listing Text

REDCAR KIRKLEATHAM
NZ 52 SE
4/72 Gatehouse, 120m north-east
of Kirkleatham Hall Farm
23.6.52 (formerly listed as
Kirkleatham Hall archway)
G.V. II*

Ornamental gatehouse, c.1780, possibly by John Carr. Dressed sandstone with
brick inner leaf to towers. Roofs missing. Gothick style. 2 octagonal
2-storey towers linked by bridge, form elliptical-headed opening with
archivolt and roll-moulded imposts continued as string courses. West face
of each tower has blocked pointed chamfered doorway under hoodmould, and
blocked cusped ogee-headed window on first floor. Blind cross-arrowloops on
ground floor of flanking faces. Bridge has blind quatrefoils in
lozenge-shaped panels. Continuous coved cornice and embattled parapet,
merlons and embrasures now partly missing. Returns have arrowloops on first
floor. East face: similar to west face but with blind windows, holding
blocked trefoil openings in tympana, on ground floor. Imitation cannon
barrels project from square spandrel panels of hollow-chamfered,
roll-moulded central opening, with inner moulded order in head of arch.
Interior: north tower has remains of newel stair. South tower has remains
of vaulted ceiling to ground-floor chamber. Disused and dilapidated at time
of resurvey. N.M.R. photograph: AA53/12863: 1953. On former driveway to
Kirkleatham Hall, demolished 1955.


Listing NGR: NZ5960422006

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.