This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1956 / 50°11'44"N
Longitude: -5.4126 / 5°24'45"W
OS Eastings: 156535
OS Northings: 38421
OS Grid: SW565384
Mapcode National: GBR FX05.9HP
Mapcode Global: VH12N.4BDV
Entry Name: Church of St Phillack (St Felicitas)
Listing Date: 14 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1160143
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70219
Location: Hayle, Cornwall, TR27
Civil Parish: Hayle
Built-Up Area: Hayle
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Phillack
Church of England Diocese: Truro
HAYLE LETHLEAN LANE, Phillack
9/116 Church of St Phillack(St Felicitas)
Parish church. C12 font bowl, C15 tower, otherwise rebuilt circa 1856-1857. Granite
ashlar tower otherwise granite and elvan rubble with granite dressings. Dry scantle
slate roofs with granite coped gable ends ; pyramidal slate roof to tower and
octagonal stone chimney over south gable of vestry and a similar chimney slightly to
Plan: Originally probably a cruciform plan with north and south transepts ; in the
C15 extended with north aisle and west tower and in circa 1886 all except the west
tower was demolished and rebuilt in Early English style to its present plan
comprising C15 west tower, nave/chancel, north aisle and vestry at north east corner,
south transept, south aisle and south porch.
Exterior: Virtually complete C15 3-stage embattled west tower with set-back corner
buttresses to the lower stages and strings dividing the stages including a tall
plinth. Original steep 4-centred arched doorway possibly reset in the C19 ;
original 3-light traceried window over the original 3-light traceried windows with
slate louvred lights to the upper stage ; 2 original crocketted corner pinnacles and
2 pinnacles replaced in the C19 (the original ones are in the churchyard south of the
tower). The C19 parts of the church are unaltered and have the original doors and
windows with cusped lancets. The east window of the south aisle has intersecting Y-
traceried lights. In the angle between the tower and the south porch is a medieval
tomb lid with cabled ornament (possibly pre-conquest) ; in the porch gable is a reset
chi-rho stone possibly C5 and in the north gable of the vestry is a C12 carved head.
Interior: Norman fragment incorporated into the north wall ; C15 4-centred tower arch
with moulded responds ; C19 transept from the nave and chancel ; earthenware roof
floor tiles and arch-braced roofs. C15 carved fragments in porch.
Fittings: C19 retooled Norman font bowl on C19 replica base ; resited Norman alter
slab with incised crosses ; C12 or C13 tomb lid set into the east wall of the vestry,
otherwise C19 fittings. In the pulpit and organ frame are incorporated some C15
carved oak fragments from the former roof.
Sources: Phillack Church by Charles Thomas, M.A., F.S.A.
Listing NGR: SW5653538421
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings