History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Town Hall and Guildhall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Elvet and Gilesgate, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7773 / 54°46'38"N

Longitude: -1.5757 / 1°34'32"W

OS Eastings: 427387

OS Northings: 542564

OS Grid: NZ273425

Mapcode National: GBR KFF6.N8

Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.R6T0

Entry Name: Town Hall and Guildhall

Listing Date: 19 February 1970

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1160184

English Heritage Legacy ID: 110284

Location: County Durham, DH1

County: County Durham

Electoral Ward/Division: Elvet and Gilesgate

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Durham

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Durham St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Durham

Listing Text

NZ 2742 NW
9/232
19.2.70

DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE
MARKET PLACE
(West side)

Town Hall and Guildhall

GV
II*

Town hall and Guildhall. C17 Guildhall with C18 alterations; 1851 town hall
and front range by P.C. Hardwick. Coursed sandstone with ashlar dressings;
roof of graduated Lakeland slate. Perpendicular style. 2 storeys and attics;
4 bays. 3-bay Guildhall at left has 3 Tudor-arched doorways with chamfered
surrounds; paired windows flank the central which has carved panels above
dated 1850; large stone brackets support first-floor balcony to high, wide
central 3-light window and tall 2-light flanking windows with tracery; drip
moulds and relieving arches above. Central spherical-triangular attic window
in coped gable; battlemented coping over side bays; tall end buttresses.
6 wide steps up to set-back right entrance to town hall: 2-centred arch with
head-stopped drip mould and canopied niche; linen-fold panelling on double
doors; 2-light windows flanking niche and 3-light above have stone mullions,
with transoms to top window, and Tudor-headed lights. Steeply-pitched roof
has tall crocketed spirelet over ridge ventilator, and paired coped ashlar
polygonal chimneys.

Interior: Guildhall, built 1665, has high wood panelling on west wall with
plaster above; renewed arch-braced 3-bay roof on shafted wood corbels. Arms of
William and Mary above panelling; Mayor's Chamber adjoining to north has 1752
panelling, 2-panelled doors and C20 coved ceiling; Jacobean chimney piece
and overmantel transferred from former Red Lion Inn, now part of Hatfield
College. North Bailey: figures in contemporary dress of gentleman, king and
soldier. Town hall at west, above covered market (q.v.) has panelled walls
with commemorative painted panels; hammer-beam roof with much carved decoration;
high stone-hooded chimney piece and linen-fold panelled double doors. Entrance
hall has one medieval head-carved stone corbel, perhaps a survival of the 1356
Guildhall on the site.

Listing NGR: NZ2738742564

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.