History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Colliery Disaster Memorial in Trimdon Cemetery

A Grade II Listed Building in Trimdon, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7011 / 54°42'4"N

Longitude: -1.4215 / 1°25'17"W

OS Eastings: 437380

OS Northings: 534163

OS Grid: NZ373341

Mapcode National: GBR LGJ2.1K

Mapcode Global: WHD6B.43CC

Entry Name: Colliery Disaster Memorial in Trimdon Cemetery

Listing Date: 14 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1160269

English Heritage Legacy ID: 112280

Location: Trimdon, County Durham, TS29

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Trimdon

Built-Up Area: Trimdon

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Upper Skerne

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Bishop Middleham

Listing Text


NZ 33 SE TRIMDON TRIMDON VILLAGE
(North side)

8/80 Colliery disaster
memorial in
Trimdon cemetery
II

Colliery disaster memorial. Circa 1882, by G. Ryder and Sons, Bishop Auckland.
Commemorates the men who died in the explosion at Trimdon Grange Colliery,
February 16th, 1882. Sandstone ashlar with granite shafts. Shaped base to
square pedestal with moulded plinth, cornice and crocket capitals on corner
shafts. Inscriptions incised on all four panels, and raised semicircular
panel on plinth inscribed ERECTED BY THEIR FELLOW WORKMEN AND FRIENDS AS A
TOKEN OF THEIR SINCERE RESPECT. Signature on plinth. High octagonal spire,
with blind tracery and leaf decoration on alternate panels, has cross finial
and rests on square block which has scenes carved in low relief on sides, and
flower and beast decoration. One side shows rescuer, in suspended loop,
carrying dead miner; another shows clasped hands, and motto 'Friendship';
another a mother and child, weeping; the fourth a miner walking to work, in
cap, breeches and jacket, carrying lamp and pick, beside a railing. Gothic-
shaped panels have names of 74 dead.

Historical note: this was one of a series of explosions around this time in
the Durham coalfield which were the subject of an official report by Her
Majesty's Inspectors.

A similar monument stands in the cemetery at Five Lane Ends, Tudhoe, Spennymoor
(q.v.).

Source: W.N. and J.B. Atkinson, Explosions in Coal Mines, 1886.


Listing NGR: NZ3738034163

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.