This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.2385 / 50°14'18"N
Longitude: -5.0449 / 5°2'41"W
OS Eastings: 182970
OS Northings: 42049
OS Grid: SW829420
Mapcode National: GBR ZF.Z40H
Mapcode Global: FRA 08BD.DDF
Entry Name: Porth Kea Methodist Church, Yard Wall and Railings to South
Listing Date: 12 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1160276
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63462
Location: Kea, Cornwall, TR3
Civil Parish: Kea
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Kea
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 84 SW KEA PORTE KEA
2/180 Porth Kea Methodist Church, yard
yard wall and railings to south
Methodist chapel with schoolroom and manse and including yard wall to entrance front.
1869 and extended 1877. Shale rubble walls with granite quoins, copings, sills,
jambstones, arch stones and pediment cornice. Bitumen-covered dry Delabole slate
roofs with gable ends and brick gable chimneys.
Rectangular aisless plan chapel with entrance on the liturgical west end and single
cell manse/cottage on the liturgical east end with front facing south east, with
sanctuary behind, and, extended 1877 with schoolroom 'east' of sanctuary and lean-to
'east' of manse. Ground is at lower level to liturgical 'north' side.
Single storey except for cottage which is 2 storeys but under same eaves line as
chapel, basement under rear (north west).
Regular 2:1:1:1 window south east garden front of 2-window side wall of chapel, left,
adjoining 1-window cottage front, 1-window lean-to at right, and set back to far
right, the porch and 1-window front of the schoolroom.
Cottage has shallow rubble arches. Doorway, left with ledged door and overlight and
original ground and first floor 16-pane sashes, right of middle. Lean-to, schoolroom
porch doorway, and schoolroom window are pointed brick arches.
South west 2-window entrance front has C20 gable-ended porch to middle, obscuring
original central doorway, moulded pediment to gable and AD 1868 in relief lettering
within recessed trefoil. Windows flanking entrance, and those to sides of chapel,
are original with intersecting glazing to tympana within pointed-arched heads.
Interior is very simple with moulded plaster ceiling cornice and large moulded and
carved central rose with acanthus border.
Fittings of numbered pews and shaped rostrum are pitched pine. Sanctuary chapel
adjoining schoolroom has Gothic style panels to rostrum with turned columns and
moulded cornice. Schoolroom has original iron grate with marble surround.
Wall monument in black and white marble to Lance Corporal Wilfred Scoble D C L I by
The inscription reads:
Once a boy in the Sunday School of this Church who in the Great War of 1914-18,
offered himself for King and Country, was wounded in 1916 and on Nov. 6th 1917, in
France gave his life for the cause of Freedom, Aged 19.
Listing NGR: SW8297042049
Other nearby listed buildings