This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.6266 / 54°37'35"N
Longitude: -1.6434 / 1°38'36"W
OS Eastings: 423119
OS Northings: 525773
OS Grid: NZ231257
Mapcode National: GBR JGZY.08
Mapcode Global: WHC58.QZM2
Entry Name: Sudbury House (Former Chapel)
Listing Date: 24 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1160307
English Heritage Legacy ID: 112197
Location: Shildon, County Durham, DL4
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Shildon
Built-Up Area: Shildon
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Shildon
Church of England Diocese: Durham
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/02/2014
NZ 22 NW
SOHO STREET (South side), CROSS STREET (East side)
Sudbury House (former chapel)
(Formerly listed as No. 2 (Durworth Ltd.) SOHO STREET (south side) and CROSS STREET (east side))
Former chapel, factory at time of listing. 1876. Squared sandstone with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof. Italianate style. 2-storey, 3-bay, open-pedimented front has chamfered plinth and raised-and-chamfered quoins. Pair of 3-panel doors and blocked 2-pane overlight in projecting pedimented porch with Tuscan antae. Flanking, boarded, round-arched windows in archivolts with keystones, impost bands and projecting sills on consoles. Group of 3 small round-arched windows above porch. Tympanum has semicircular cemented panel in archivolt with keystone. 4-bay left return has boarded, round-arched windows with identical details. Stone eaves cornice. Interior: Former gallery, with pierced panels, on cast-iron columns. Later inserted ceiling at gallery level.
Listing NGR: NZ2311925773
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings