This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5061 / 54°30'21"N
Longitude: -1.8894 / 1°53'21"W
OS Eastings: 407257
OS Northings: 512313
OS Grid: NZ072123
Mapcode National: GBR HJ7B.RG
Mapcode Global: WHB4L.YZFY
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 28 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1160398
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111665
Location: Brignall, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Brignall
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
NZ 01 SE BRIGNALL BRIGNALL VILLAGE
6/76 Church of St. Mary
Parish Church, 1833-4 by R. Dawson, replacing old church (q.v.); remodelled
1892. Rough-faced stone with roughly-tooled quoins; tooled-and-margined
ashlar plinth, buttresses and dressings. Stone slate roof. Plan: rectangular
"preaching box" with narrower west tower. Free C13 style.
3-stage west tower: chamfered plinth and set-backs between stages; stepped
angle buttresses to lower stage. 3 steps up to double boarded doors on west,
in double-chamfered arch with hoodmould. Tall belfry stage with double
lancets; string below embattled parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles. Body
of church has chamfered plinth, and chamfered string below embattled parapet
with crocketed corner pinnacles. On north 3 windows, each of 3 lancets under
one arch, with hoodmoulds; similar central window on south. East end has
chamfered set-back below lancet triplet with moulded rings on jamb shafts,
linked hoodmould and flanking pointed niches with hoodmoulds. Above is a C15
slab brought from Mortham, with IHS enclosed by riband inscribed 'Soli deo
honor et gloria', under hoodmould. Stepped gable with cross fleury finial.
2 spiral-fluted rainwater heads.
Interior: Plastered. Furnishings largely late C19: carved rood screen with
cusped panels and integral pulpit; similar screens enclosing choir and
sanctuary. Panelled dado. Panelled ceiling with carved bosses, and arch
braces on stone corbels. Re-cut C13 font has circular bowl on shaft of 6
attached columns with dog-tooth ornament between, and moulded base. East
window glass 1892 by Kempe: Crucifixion with Virgin and St. John. In tower
a C13 graveslab, with 6-arm cross, from old church site.
Listing NGR: NZ0725712313
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings