History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Cuthbert and Presbytery Attached

A Grade II Listed Building in Elvet and Gilesgate, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7746 / 54°46'28"N

Longitude: -1.5696 / 1°34'10"W

OS Eastings: 427785

OS Northings: 542273

OS Grid: NZ277422

Mapcode National: GBR KFG7.Z6

Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.V8R1

Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert and Presbytery Attached

Listing Date: 10 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1160512

English Heritage Legacy ID: 110359

Location: County Durham, DH1

County: County Durham

Electoral Ward/Division: Elvet and Gilesgate

Built-Up Area: Durham

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Durham St Oswald

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Durham

Listing Text

DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE OLD ELVET
NZ 2742 SE (South side, off)

15/307 Church of St Cuthbert
and presbytery attached

GV

II

Roman Catholic Church and Presbytery. 1826-27 with west tower and north-east
Lady Chapel added in 1869. Designed by Ignatius Bonomi. Church of worn
sandstone ashlar, presbytery of snecked sandstone, both with slate roofs and
rubble rear walls. Church Perpendicular style: nave, tower, short sanctuary,
with northern Lady Chapel. Tower of 3 stepped stages with hollow-chamfered and
moulded Tudor-arched west door with large flat-headed, traceried windows above
and small single bell openings in top stage. Corbelled parapet and pyramidal
roof with painted finial and vane. 4-bay nave with stepped buttress bay
divisions and west angle buttresses; north side plain with entrance in 3rd
bay. South side has paired, tall, pointed, traceried, transomed windows but
for westernmost bay which has a slit window below the gallery. All windows
under hoodmoulds. Projecting sanctuary bay on south side entirely filled by
large 4-light, square-headed, traceried transomed window; pent extruded, porch
below with Gothic glazed windows. Parapet with roll mouldings continuous above
3-storeyed, 2-bay presbytery to south-east: Chamfered cross casements on ground
and first-floor; projecting 2-storey canted bay on south front.

Church interior has west gallery and sanctuary panelled with traceried, Gothic
woodwork with pierced parapets to side boxes, rood and reredos. The Lady Chapel
has stencilled dado and east window by H.M. Bennett of Newcastle. Carved marble
mensa and carved stone font; repewed in C20. 4th bay from east on south side of
nave has 4-light window by Harry Clarke. Interior of Presbytery not inspected
but probably has older core.


Listing NGR: NZ2778542273

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.