History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

East Pool Mine Engine House

A Grade II Listed Building in Camborne, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.228 / 50°13'40"N

Longitude: -5.2647 / 5°15'52"W

OS Eastings: 167251

OS Northings: 41545

OS Grid: SW672415

Mapcode National: GBR Z2.2L5B

Mapcode Global: VH12J.PJNK

Entry Name: East Pool Mine Engine House

Listing Date: 12 September 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1160518

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66695

Location: Carn Brea, Cornwall, TR15

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Carn Brea

Built-Up Area: Camborne

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Saint Illogan

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Illogan

Listing Text

CARN BREA FORE STREET
SE 64 SE
(south side)
5/147
Pool
9.4.75 East Pool Mine Engine House

II*
Winding engine house (or "whim") to Mitchell's shaft of former East Pool tin
mine; now National Trust working museum. 1887; restored, damaged by
thunderbolt 1987, repair in progress at time of survey (1988). Uncoursed killas
rubble with quoins, bob wall of large dressed granite blocks, window arches of
brick, cantilevered steel-frame bob platform, slate roof. Rectangular plan on
east-west axis, with bob wall to east, chimney attached at north-west corner,
lean-to boiler house on south side, fly-wheel and winding drum in front of bob
wall. Three stages, with round-headed openings including driver's window in bob
wall and large cylinder window in rear wall; prominent bob-plat projected from
3rd stage; large fly-wheel and winding drum on granite mounting in front of bob
wall. Tapered cylindrical chimney stack with brick upper stage. Interior: contains
restored 30-inch cylinder engine, beam, etc., in working order, and 2 boilers in
boiler house (not now in use). History: mine worked for copper from early C18
to 1784 as Pool Old Bal (=mine), from 1834 to 1896 producing copper and tin,
and united with Wheal Agar mine in 1897 as East Pool and Agar Limited (EPAL);
closed 1945. Reference: J.Trounson Mining in Cornwall VoL0ne (1980).


Listing NGR: SW6725141545

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.