History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Winding House Approximately 30 Metres East of Pump Engine House to Marriott's Shaft on South Wheal Frances Sett

A Grade II Listed Building in Carn Brea, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2089 / 50°12'32"N

Longitude: -5.2515 / 5°15'5"W

OS Eastings: 168098

OS Northings: 39379

OS Grid: SW680393

Mapcode National: GBR Z2.3X7G

Mapcode Global: VH12Q.X0MP

Entry Name: Winding House Approximately 30 Metres East of Pump Engine House to Marriott's Shaft on South Wheal Frances Sett

Listing Date: 12 September 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1160606

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66702

Location: Carn Brea, Cornwall, TR16

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Carn Brea

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Redruth

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Illogan

Listing Text

CARN BREA PIECE
SW 63 NE
8/154 Winding house approx. 30 metres
east of pump engine house to
Marriott's shaft on
South Wheal Frances sett

GV II
Winding engine house to former tin mine, now derelict. Late 1890's, for South
Frances United Mine. Granite rubble with quoins, brick arches to openings; now
roofless. Rectangular plan, 2x3 bays, on east-west axis. Two storeys, with
windows only at 1st floor, all round-headed; the 2-bay west front facing the
former shaft has a large window on the right (presumably the driver"s window),
the masonry beneath it now removed, and a smaller window to the left; the side
walls have 3 windows each and the rear has 2 windows (one damaged). Former
roof was hipped. Interior not inspected. History: formerly contained horizontal
cross compound engine made by Holman's of Camborne, with 23- and 43-inch
cylinders on plinths each side of the drum space, and a conical winding drum.
Reference: Palmer & Neaverson, op.cit.
Part of a very impressive group of remains of one of the best equipped mines in
Cornwall, closed in 1918.


Listing NGR: SW6809839379

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.