History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Compressor House Approximately 7 Metres West of Pump Engine House to Marriott's Shaft on South Wheal Frances Sett

A Grade II Listed Building in Carn Brea, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2088 / 50°12'31"N

Longitude: -5.2523 / 5°15'8"W

OS Eastings: 168041

OS Northings: 39376

OS Grid: SW680393

Mapcode National: GBR Z2.3WZP

Mapcode Global: VH12Q.X06Q

Entry Name: Compressor House Approximately 7 Metres West of Pump Engine House to Marriott's Shaft on South Wheal Frances Sett

Listing Date: 12 September 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1160611

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66704

Location: Carn Brea, Cornwall, TR16

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Carn Brea

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Redruth

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Illogan

Listing Text

CARN BREA PIECE
SW 63 NE
8/155 Compressor house approx. 7
metres west of pump engine house
to Marriott's shaft on
South Wheal Frances sett

GV II
Compressor house to former tin mine, now derelict. Late 1890's, for South
Frances United Mine. Uncoursed granite rubble with quoins, brick arches to
openings; now roofless. Rectangular plan, 3x2 bays, on north-south axis. Two
storeys, with round-headed windows at 1st floor; the west side has a square-
headed doorway up 4 steps near the left (north) end, 7 small rectangular
openings at ground level (tunnels or conduits which pierce the foundations
laterally), and 3 large windows at 1st floor; the opposite side is similar except
for the doorway, and the gable walls have square-headed windows at ground
floor, round-headed above, and small circular windows at the apex. Interior: solid
concrete plinth to 1st floor level, with central cut-out and central fly-wheel
recess. History: formerly contained cross-compound 2-stage plant by Fraser and
Chalmers, capable of working 30 rock drills. Reference: Palmer & Neaverson,
op.cit.
Part of a very impressive group of remains of one of the best equipped mines in
Cornwall, closed in 1918.


Listing NGR: SW6804139376

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.