History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ibstone, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6248 / 51°37'29"N

Longitude: -0.9092 / 0°54'33"W

OS Eastings: 475602

OS Northings: 192336

OS Grid: SU756923

Mapcode National: GBR C3S.4XZ

Mapcode Global: VHDW2.6F59

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 21 June 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1160705

English Heritage Legacy ID: 46803

Location: Ibstone, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP14

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

Civil Parish: Ibstone

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Ibstone

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Ibstone

Listing Text

SU 79 SE IBSTONE

3/151 Church of St. Nicholas

21.6.55
II*

Parish church. C12 nave with C13 chancel. Flint, the nave roughcast
with asphalt roof, the chancel rendered with old tile roof. Small
building with nave, W. bell turret, late C19 S. porch, and chancel. Nave
has shallow gabled parapets with tiled coping, and C18-C19 short square
bell turret,shingled, with old tile pyramid roof. Small original W. window
with semi-circular arch; C16 2-light window with Tudor hoodmould to N.;
cusped 2-light window to S. with re-set carved head above; semi-circular arched
window with C19 brick surround to left of S. porch. Romanesque doorways
to N. and S., with semi-circular arches and diapered tympana: N. doorway
is blocked; S. doorway has billet ornament on lintel, restored carved imposts,
and gabledtimberporch, Chancel has rectangular chamfered light, 2-light
traceried window and blocked doorway on S. side, and triple lancets to
E. Interior: nave has late C18-early C19 W. gallery with wood-grained
turned balusters; nave roof dated 1777 on beam; tail wide semi-circular chancel
arch with later carved imposts; inner arches of E. window moulded on
shafts. Fittings: C14-C15 pulpit with wooden ogee panels, crockets and
finials; tub font, possibly C12; late C17-C18 altar table with columnar
legs.
RCHM I p. 212-213.


Listing NGR: SU7560292336

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.