This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.2252 / 50°13'30"N
Longitude: -5.2708 / 5°16'15"W
OS Eastings: 166797
OS Northings: 41256
OS Grid: SW667412
Mapcode National: GBR Z0.RY8K
Mapcode Global: VH12J.LLCP
Entry Name: Boiler House Immediately to North East of Pump Engine House to Robinsons Shaft at South Crofty Mine
Listing Date: 12 September 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1160761
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66717
Location: Carn Brea, Cornwall, TR15
Civil Parish: Carn Brea
Built-Up Area: Camborne
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Saint Illogan
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 64 SE CARN BREA STATION ROAD
Boiler House immediately to
North-East of Pump Engine
12.09.1989 House to Robinson's shaft
At South Crofty Mine
Boiler house to pump engine. Probably 1903; altered and extended. Uncoursed killas rubble, with some patching in concrete block, brick arches to windows; corrugated sheet roof to east range and slate roof to west range. Rectangular plan with parallel ranges on north-south axis, with pumping engine house (qv) attached to south. East range of one-and-a-half storeys, approx. 3 bays; large garage doors inserted in 2nd bay (replacing former semicircular arch), blocked semicircular arches to left and right (the 2nd containing a doorway), and remains of 2 of the former 3 round-headed windows above. Single-storey west elevation retains two round-arched sashes with glazing bars.
INTERIOR: retains softwood trusses.
Despite some alteration, this boiler house relates to an outstanding group of early C20 buildings around Robinson's Shaft.
The persistence of mining into the C20 in the Camborne/Redruth area, however, has resulted in a number of extraordinarily well-preserved complexes which are strongly representative of key aspects of this industry which have not survived in other earlier and more altered contexts, most notably Taylor's Shaft at East Pool, King Edward mine, the Tolgus tailings works and this complex of buildings around Robinson's Shaft. This part of the South Crofty Mine was re-organised between 1900 and 1908, and the current buildings represent the mine as it was by 1914, with the loss of the 1903-6 miners' dry to the S side. The steam engine was moved here from Tregurtha Downs. It includes the paired engine houses for pumping and winding, the compressor house and its chimney, and the extensive workshop provision for the mine.
Listing NGR: SW6679741256
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings