This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.7749 / 54°46'29"N
Longitude: -1.5764 / 1°34'35"W
OS Eastings: 427344
OS Northings: 542299
OS Grid: NZ273422
Mapcode National: GBR KFF7.H4
Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.R7HV
Entry Name: Former Exchequer Building, Now University Library
Listing Date: 10 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1160838
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110408
Location: County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Electoral Ward/Division: Elvet and Gilesgate
Built-Up Area: Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
NZ 2742 SW
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE,
PALACE GREEN (West side),
Former Exchequer Building, now university library
Chancery and exchequer courts, now library. Between 1438 and 1457 for Bishop
Neville. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; stone-flagged roof.
3 storeys, 2 bays. Steps down to studded, ledged boarded door at right of
first bay in 2-centred-arched surround with fragments of roll moulding on
lower course, renewed on course above, and chamfer above that. Ground-floor
windows at left and at right have 3 Tudor-headed lights and label moulds.
First-floor windows have 3 round-headed stepped lights; second floor has 3
windows with 2 round-headed lights, all under dripmoulds and with chamfered
surrounds. Neville arms (ears removed from horse's head) between upper windows
under canopy on angel bracket. Eaves string; parapet, formerly battlemented,
has roll-moulded coping.
Interior: central passage to 12-ribbed vault; newel stair to right of this;
a second newel survives in part at rear of building, heavily weathered. C17
open-well stair has widely-spaced barley-sugar twist balusters, closed string
and high grip handrail; partly renewed. Many stop-chamfered flat Tudor-
arched door surrounds, including those to Chancery Court and Exchequer Court,
now one room. Masons' mark (W with central projecting cross) on these and
on a third ground-floor door. Square-headed door at rear has stopped chamfer
with narrower chamfer below. Original stop-chamfered beams and ceilings over
both floors, the beams with 3 hollow chamfers.
Listing NGR: NZ2734442299
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings