History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hundred Foot Pumping Station

A Grade II* Listed Building in Downham, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4795 / 52°28'46"N

Longitude: 0.2186 / 0°13'6"E

OS Eastings: 550764

OS Northings: 289150

OS Grid: TL507891

Mapcode National: GBR M5G.G30

Mapcode Global: VHHHS.QYX4

Entry Name: Hundred Foot Pumping Station

Listing Date: 26 February 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1160847

English Heritage Legacy ID: 49471

Location: Downham, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB6

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Downham

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Downham

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Manea

Listing Text

TL 58 NW DOWNHAM PYMORE

2/18 Hundred Foot
Pumping Station

II*

Pumping station. 1830, designed by Joseph Gwynne for the Littleport and
Downham Commissioners, replacing a windmill, one of seventy-five in the
area. Gault brick, slate and corrugated asbestos roofs. Three storey engine
house with wheelhouse to right hand and boiler room and workshop, originally
the coking shed, to left hand. Gabled elevation to engine house has double
sliding doors at ground floor, and one round arched and one flat arched fixed
light windows with cast iron glazing bars at first and second floors; and two
plaques inscribed 'These fens have of times been by Water drown'd, Science a
remedy in Water found, The power of Steam she said shall be employ'd, And the
Destroyer by Itself destroy'd - Erected AD 1830: and 'Littleport and Downham
District Commissioners Hundred Foot Pumping stn, 1756 windmill. 1830 Steam
engine eight scoop wheel 41ft diameter. 1882. Scoop wheel increased to 50
ft. 1914. 400hp Gwynnes Steam Engine and pump replace scoop wheel and
displaced 200 tons a minute. 1926 230hp Mirrlees oil-engine, 1951 Ruston Oil
Engine 540hp replaces Gwynne engine. Interior: The 1914 pump is still in
use powered by the Ruston Oil Engine which replaced the original engine. The
paved second floor and stair is intact, the lower galleries have been
removed. The boilers in the boiler house have been converted for diesel oil
storage. The original engine was designed to pump water at two speeds into
the tidal river, the second wheel with 50ft diameter was the largest in the
fens. The station was built on a raft of 600 piles with 300,000 bricks. It
is shortly to be replaced by a new pumping station to be built on the site of
the engine house built in 1926 for the Mirrlees oil engine.

Hills, R.L: Machines Mills and Uncountable Costly Necessity 1967
Alderton, D and Booker, J: Batsford Guide to the Industrial Archaeology
of East Anglia 1980
V.C.H. p.90
Pevsner: Buildings of England p331
Country Life, Vol. 138, p875, 1965


Listing NGR: TL5076489150

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.