This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.712 / 53°42'43"N
Longitude: -0.1167 / 0°7'0"W
OS Eastings: 524392
OS Northings: 425598
OS Grid: TA243255
Mapcode National: GBR WTMJ.J2
Mapcode Global: WHHH0.5YPP
Entry Name: Windmill Tower Approximately 20 Metres South West of Mill House
Listing Date: 27 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1160858
English Heritage Legacy ID: 166563
Location: Keyingham, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU12
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Keyingham
Built-Up Area: Keyingham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Keyingham St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: York
KEYINGHAM MILL ROAD
TA 22 NW
2/22 Windmill tower
approximately 20 metres
south-west of Mill House
Windmill tower. Late C18 origins, raised and re-fitted c1825; roof of
c1970. Brick (brown brick to first 2 storeys, red brick to later upper
section) with traces of tarring. Wooden roof. Tapered round tower of 6
storeys. Ground floor: 4 segmental-headed entrances: blocked to north, C20
two-fold door to south, doorways to east and west (doors missing) to
adjoining outhouse ranges of no special interest; three 6-pane casements.
First floor: blocked doors to north and south, 2 windows. Second floor: two
12-pane casements, two C20 plate-glass casements. Third floor: 12-pane
sliding sash, plate-glass window. Fourth floor: 12-pane casement, plate-
glass window. Low octagonal roof. Early C20 weather-vane. Interior.
Floors and machinery intact. Fittings include large silk-reel to ground
floor; governor, silk-reel and brush scalper to first floor; 3 sets of
stones (2 sets French stones, single set Derbyshire grey stones) to second
floor; bins and screening machine to third floor; hoppers to fourth floor.
The silk reels were inserted in c1910 in an attempt to produce fine white
flour. Further silk reels (now removed) were installed in the west
outbuilding, which also served as an engine house. Ceased production in
1941. Victoria County history: York, East Riding, vol 5, p 59; R Gregory,
East Yorkshire Windmills, 1985, pp 51, 53, 81, 112.
Listing NGR: TA2439225598
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings