History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lych Gate and Churchyard Walls West and South of Church of St Erth

A Grade II Listed Building in St Erth, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.1648 / 50°9'53"N

Longitude: -5.4324 / 5°25'56"W

OS Eastings: 154963

OS Northings: 35056

OS Grid: SW549350

Mapcode National: GBR DXZ7.LG7

Mapcode Global: VH12T.S4F0

Entry Name: Lych Gate and Churchyard Walls West and South of Church of St Erth

Listing Date: 14 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1160891

English Heritage Legacy ID: 70339

Location: St. Erth, Cornwall, TR27

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: St. Erth

Built-Up Area: St Erth

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Erth

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Saint Erth

Listing Text

ST ERTH THE GREEN LANE, St Erth
SW 5435-5535
13/249 Lych gate and churchyard walls west
- and south of Church of St Erth

GV II
Lych gate and churchyard walls west and south of Church. Churchyard walls probably
circa early C19, lych gate is 1925. In memory of John Vivian of Meadowside, died
1925 and Nanny his wife, died 1919 (given by their 3 daughters). Roughly tooled low
granite side walls open timber framed above. Dry Delabole slate roof with elaborate
wooden barge board to front and rear gable ends.
Plan: Rectangular plan with thin side walls only, returning slightly at the front
and rear to form plinths for wooden portals, Gothic style.
Exterior: Similar gable ends at front and rear. Each has wide 4-centred arch with
pierced spandrels and blind trefoil-headed panels to the jambs. The head of the arch
is a tie beam to a braced king post and strutted truss and an open gable. Cusped and
ogee-headed barge board. Side walls are carried on 3 bays of open traceried lights
each bay with 3 lights. On the right (west) of the lych gate the churchyard wall is
granite ashlar with granite coping, otherwise granite rubble. Gateway to south-east
corner of churchyard has round-headed granite monolithic piers and heavy wrought-iron
gate.


Listing NGR: SW5496635055

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.