History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Etheldreda

A Grade II Listed Building in Elm, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.599 / 52°35'56"N

Longitude: 0.1118 / 0°6'42"E

OS Eastings: 543123

OS Northings: 302230

OS Grid: TF431022

Mapcode National: GBR L2M.52F

Mapcode Global: WHJPN.PXFX

Entry Name: Church of St Etheldreda

Listing Date: 31 October 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1160972

English Heritage Legacy ID: 48089

Location: Elm, Fenland, Cambridgeshire, PE14

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland

Civil Parish: Elm

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Friday Bridge with Coldham

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
March

Listing Text

TF 40 SW ELM MARCH ROAD
14/16 (East Side)
Coldham

Church of St Etheldreda

II


Church, built 1876 in early English style. Coursed rubblestone with tiled roof. West
wall with repaired bell-cote above west window of two trefoil lights with foiled head
in two-centred arch. nave of three bays, one with a two light window with a foiled
head in a two-centred arch and one with three trefoil lights with a foiled head in a
two-centred arch. South porch, gabled, with two-centred outer arch, moulded and with
attached shafts. Chancel, tiled. Two windows of one trefoil light in two-centred
head and an east window of three trefoil lights with a foiled head. North vestry with
a stone stack. Interior. Chancel arch of two moulded orders. Outer roll moulded on
attached shafts with foliate capitals and moulded bases, inner chamfered on three
grouped, attached colonettes with half octagonal capitals and carried on corbels. In
south wall of chancel, piscina and double sedilia. Cinquefoil cusping to two-centred
arches to each. Retable of stone. Two-centred arches to five bays divided by shafts
of marble.
VCH (Cambs) Vol.IV, p.185.


Listing NGR: TF4312302230

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.