History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Vicarage the Old Vicarage Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Burton upon Stather, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6504 / 53°39'1"N

Longitude: -0.6837 / 0°41'1"W

OS Eastings: 487101

OS Northings: 417909

OS Grid: SE871179

Mapcode National: GBR RVN7.S4

Mapcode Global: WHGFZ.GHNV

Entry Name: The Old Vicarage the Old Vicarage Lodge

Listing Date: 6 November 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1160995

English Heritage Legacy ID: 165756

Location: Burton upon Stather, North Lincolnshire, DN15

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Burton upon Stather

Built-Up Area: Burton upon Stather

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Burton-upon-Stather St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Winterton

Listing Text

SE 8617-8717 BURTON UPON STATHER CHURCH GATE
(north side)

5/1 The Old Vicarage and
The Old Vicarage Lodge
6.11.67
- (Formerly known as
'Vicarage Cottage' and
'The Vicarage')
GV II

Rectory, now 2 houses. 1829 on datestone in right return, with C2U
alterations. By David Thorpe of Kingston upon Hull for Rev Charles
Sheffield. Grey gault brick in Flemish Bond with red brick to rear.
Ashlar cills, gable coping and chimney cornices, wrought iron window
grilles, Westmoreland slate roof, wooden porch with ashfelt roof. I,lain
house, now The Old Vicarage, with adjoining former services wing, now
The Old Vicarage Lodge, set back on left. The Old Vicarage: 2 storeys
with attic, 3 bays; symmetrical. Central entrance has original part-
glazed panelled door in panelled reveal and architrave. Later trellis
porch with hipped roof. Tripartite windows with sashes with glazing
bars divided by pilasters supporting a moulded cornice. First floor
sashes with glazing bars under low cambered arches, the 2 outer windows
with decorative ironwork grilles. Mansard roof with 2 sloping dormers
with 12-pane sliding sashes in architraves. Coped gables and end stacks
with cornice bands and square chimney pots. Lower 2 storey section to
left (The Old Vicarage Lodge) has 3 first floor windows. Round-headed
entrance inserted to right of centre in 1940s has internal porch and
panelled door in architrave. 2 sashes with glazing bars to left, 1 to
right, with small inserted sashes at each end. All windows have
cambered arches apart from first floor right, under a lintel at eaves
level. Wooden cornice board. Lateral stacks. Interior of The Old
Vicarage retains original staircase with slender turned balusters,
panelled doors, architraves, window shutters, pilaster divides to ground
floor front windows, moulded plaster ceiling roses and cornices. the
Old Vicarage Lodge contains part of a re-used 1733 staircase balustrade.
(Architect's plans: Lincoln Archive Office, FICA 155).


Listing NGR: SE8709917909

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.