History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Humberston, North East Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5278 / 53°31'40"N

Longitude: -0.0238 / 0°1'25"W

OS Eastings: 531094

OS Northings: 405278

OS Grid: TA310052

Mapcode National: GBR XW8N.N3

Mapcode Global: WHHJ0.LLWC

Entry Name: Church of Saint Peter

Listing Date: 4 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1161055

English Heritage Legacy ID: 164393

Location: Humberston, North East Lincolnshire, DN36

County: North East Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Humberston

Built-Up Area: Cleethorpes

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Humberston St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Grimsby

Listing Text



HUMBERSIDE
CLEETHORPES
5263

TA 30 NW HUMBERSTON CHURCH AVENUE
(south side)
4/27
4.1.67 Church of Saint Peter

*
GV II

Parish church. C15 tower; nave and chancel of 1720-2. Nave parapet altered
1774. Interior alterations of 1897. Tower repaired in 1929, nave and
chancel re-roofed in 1931. Tower of squared ironstone with limestone ashlar
dressings and ashlar facing to upper section. Nave and chancel of red brick
in English bond with plinth of re-used medieval masonry. Lead roof. West
tower with west entrance, 4-bay nave/chancel. C20 church rooms of no
special interest adjoin south side. 3-stage tower: moulded plinth, clasping
buttresses with off-sets, stair-lighting slits to south-west corner; moulded
string courses between stages. Pointed moulded door of 2 orders with
hoodmould beneath moulded stringcourse, pointed 3-light west window with
partly restored Perpendicular tracery and hoodmould. Second stage has
pointed 2-light traceried window with hoodmould and headstops. Pointed 3-
light belfry openings with reticulated tracery and hoodmoulds; moulded
stringcourse, angle gargoyles, coped embattled parapet with crocketed angle
pinnacles. Nave/chancel: plinth (incorporating 2 fragments of C10 - Cll
cross-shaft with interlace carving) with moulded brick cap; angle pilasters.
3 round-headed windows and single circular windows to north and south with
3-course brick band and stone-coped parapet above. 'Blocked opening beneath
circular window to north-west. Wide elliptically-arched east window with
small oculus in gable above. All windows with original iron glazing bars
and leaded lights. Pairs of down pipes to north and south sides with cast
lead rainwater heads inscribed "H x C". Inscribed ashlar slab
1774
incorporated in east wall records burial in February 1720/21 of John Nash
"late of London master Carpenter of this Church". Interior: small painted
chamfered arch to tower staircase with heavy oak door. Partly-exposed tall
pointed double-chamfered tower arch on octagonal responds with moulded
capitals and bases. Nave open to chancel. Elliptically-arched nave west
door with keyed architrave and cornice above; pair of fluted pilasters
flanking altar and east window. Fielded panelling to nave and chancel made
from C18 box pews in 1890s. Very fine marble wall monument to Matthew
Humberston of first half of C18, attributed to Rysbach or Sir Henry Cheere:
Corinthian columns flanked by foliate scrolls and carrying open pediment
surmounted by urn with garlands, over carved arms and arched niche
containing half-size female mourner leaning on tablet bearing Humberston's
portrait in relief, lower panel with carved scallops and scrolled brackets
bearing inscription to Humberston who "was early advanced to Several places
of Trust and profit in the Custom House whereby he acquired an ample Fortune
with great honour and reputation...... He gave £1,000 to rebuild this
church, £500 to build a School house and 6 Almshouses..... and directed
£300 to be layd out on a Monument in memory of him." Fine marble wall
tablet to members of Humberston family, the latest being Thomas Humberston
(died 1755), "in Conformity to whose will this monument was erected":
inscription with pilastered surround and moulded cornice carrying carved
arms and urn with figures of Three Graces in relief against reddish-grey
obelisk. C18 painted Royal Arms and hatchments with Humberston arms in
tower and nave. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England:
Lincolnshire, 1978, 278-9. A E Kirkby, Humberston; The Story of a Village,
1953, 36-56.


Listing NGR: TA3109405278

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.