This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5277 / 53°31'39"N
Longitude: -0.1973 / 0°11'50"W
OS Eastings: 519591
OS Northings: 404958
OS Grid: TA195049
Mapcode National: GBR WW2N.24
Mapcode Global: WHHHX.YL6G
Entry Name: Church of Saint Andrew
Listing Date: 4 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1161130
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164400
Location: Irby, North East Lincolnshire, DN37
County: North East Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Irby
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Irby on Humber St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TA 10 SE IRBY UPON HUMBER
5/34 Church of Saint Andrew
Parish church. C12 nave arcades and chancel arch, C13-C14 tower with later
parapet. Restorations of 1794; nave clerestory removed late C18 - early
C19. Extensive restorations of 1883 by James Fowler of Louth included
rebuilding chancel, north aisle, much of south aisle. Ironstone rubble and
ashlar with limestone ashlar dressings and tower parapet. Slate roof. West
tower, 2-bay aisled nave with south porch and single-bay chancel. 2-stage
tower: chamfered plinth, pointed 3-light window with C19 tracery, weathered
stringcourse, outline of former nave roof of shallower pitch to east;
pointed 2-light belfry openings with Perpendicular tracery (probably reset
in C19 from former nave clerestory); cornice, coped ashlar parapet. North
aisle: buttresses, pointed 3-light traceried windows. South aisle: original
angle buttresses, C19 cillband; C19 square-headed 3-light window and pointed
2-light traceried east and west windows. Chancel: buttresses, cillband;
single round-headed north and south windows, 3 similar windows to east.
Porch: C13 pointed chamfered outer arch, similar earlier C13 inner arch with
plain moulded imposts; inscribed mass dial to right. Interior. C12 north
arcade of plain round arches with hoodmoulds on broad cylindrical pier with
square scalloped capital, chamfered abacus and plain moulded base. Later
C12 south arcade of taller plain round arches on narrower cylindrical pier
with plain moulded capital, square abacus and plain moulded base. Tall
pointed double-chamfered tower arch with plain moulded capitals and inner
order dying into plain jambs. Single blocked east lancets to both aisles.
Pointed-trefoiled piscina to south aisle with corbelled bowl. Blocked
former rood-loft door to north aisle. C19 ceiled pine waggon roof to
chancel. Two late C14 floor slabs at west end of nave to Malet family: that
to north with fine inscribed figures of man and woman with pillowed heads
and inscription above, that to south with much weathered inscribed border.
Plain C12 rounded font bowl on restored base. N Pevsner and J Harris, The
Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 282-3; drawing by C Nattes, 1796,
Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library.
Listing NGR: TA1958904956
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings