History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brunner Public Library

A Grade II Listed Building in Northwich, Cheshire West and Chester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2624 / 53°15'44"N

Longitude: -2.5099 / 2°30'35"W

OS Eastings: 366083

OS Northings: 374049

OS Grid: SJ660740

Mapcode National: GBR BZXQ.D7

Mapcode Global: WH99C.F81B

Entry Name: Brunner Public Library

Listing Date: 19 August 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1161149

English Heritage Legacy ID: 57644

Location: Northwich, Cheshire West and Chester, CW9

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Northwich

Built-Up Area: Northwich

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Witton (or Northwich) St Helen

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Northwich

Listing Text


SJ 67 SE NORTHWICH C.P. WITTON STREET
(North Side)

5/49 No. 89 (Brunner Public
Library)

II

Public Library and Salt Museum, now Library and Exhibition Room, 1909,
A E Powles architect and W Wood of Hartford builder. A
subsidence-liftable structure of oak small framing with plaster panels
on brick plinth; slate roof. 2 storeys, symmetrical, with projecting
cross-wing to each side of central block of 3 windows. Ogee Tudor
arch contains shaped boarded double doors of oak; basket-arched oak
boarded door to each cross-wing. 2 mullioned and transomed leaded
casements to lower storey of central block and 3 to upper storey; 1
mullioned and transomed leaded casement to lower storey of each
cross-wing with canted oriel on shaped brackets above, under jettied
gable on shaped brackets, with carved bargeboards and finial. Shaped
red brick chimney on centre of ridge and at junction with left
cross-wing. Single storey rear wing.
Interior: Somewhat altered, framed throughout with stopped ovolo
beams, contains plaques of former library (1885 by M K Ellerton for
John Brunner and present library 1909 by A E Powles for the then Sir
John Brunner Bart. MP).


Listing NGR: SJ6608374049

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.