This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5111 / 53°30'40"N
Longitude: -0.1021 / 0°6'7"W
OS Eastings: 525951
OS Northings: 403281
OS Grid: TA259032
Mapcode National: GBR WWQV.P2
Mapcode Global: WHHJ5.D0LM
Entry Name: Waltham Windmill
Listing Date: 28 April 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1161256
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164412
Location: Waltham, North East Lincolnshire, DN37
County: North East Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Waltham
Built-Up Area: Waltham
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Waltham All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
1206/7/45 BRIGSLEY ROAD
Tower windmill. 1880 by John Saunderson of Louth. Restorations underway since
1966. Tarred brick tower with wooden cap and sails. Tapered round tower of
6 storeys. 2-fold recessed board door and original 20-pane iron casements in renewed wooden frames beneath segmental arches: 4 windows to 2nd floor, 2 to others, with single windows to 3rd and 4th floors (formerly 2, now blocked). Corbelled cornice. Renewed wooden ogee cap with ball finial, fantail and six sails (two replaced, rest restored).
Interior: complete set of machinery, with two over-driven and two under-driven stones, of which one of each is French burr and one each is Derbyshire millstone grit. Main and subsiduary shafts and wheels in cast iron, alternate cogged wheels in wood (to prevent sparks). Original sack lift on continuous chain friction driven by wallower, original floor beams, restored/renewed corn chutes, stairs and floors.
The last 6-sailed mill to be built in Lincolnshire, and the only such mill in full working order.
Maintained and operated by the Waltham Windmill Preservation Society.
Other nearby listed buildings