This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.1304 / 50°7'49"N
Longitude: -5.4288 / 5°25'43"W
OS Eastings: 155045
OS Northings: 31226
OS Grid: SW550312
Mapcode National: GBR DXZB.N26
Mapcode Global: VH12T.VZCD
Entry Name: The Old Vicarage
Listing Date: 9 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1161262
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70064
Location: St. Hilary, Cornwall, TR20
Civil Parish: St. Hilary
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Hilary
Church of England Diocese: Truro
ST HILARY CHURCHTOWN, St Hilary
SW 53 SE
2/158 The Old Vicarage
Former vicarage, later hotel, now private house. C18, extended in the C19 and C20.
Granite rubble with granite dressings. Slate hanging to the tower. Dry Delabole
slate laid in diminishing courses with stuccoed stacks over the gable ends.
Plan: in the C18 probably a U-shaped plan (still extant) with 2 rooms at the front,
the right-hand room much wider; passage beteen leading to stair hall; probably
original 1 room plan wing at right angles behind the right hand room and deeper 2-
room plan wing at right angles behind the left hand room. In circa the late C19 the
left hand wing was extended on its rear left including a tall tower and some C20
extension at the rear.
Exterior : 2 storeys. Regular 4-window north front with doorway under the first
floor second from left window. Tall openings with heads of ground floors openings
near sills of first floor openings. 16-pane hornless sashes, circa early C19 or C20
copies. C20 porch and C20 partly glazed addition in front of the left hand window
The 3-storey tower is set back on the left and has a central bay broken forward and
surmounted by a triangular pediment. 12-pane horned sashes.
Interior not inspected.
Some C20 alteration but the house is important in the way it groups with the church
and the other listed buildings.
Listing NGR: SW5504631224
Other nearby listed buildings