This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5167 / 53°31'0"N
Longitude: -0.0989 / 0°5'55"W
OS Eastings: 526151
OS Northings: 403910
OS Grid: TA261039
Mapcode National: GBR WWRS.D2
Mapcode Global: WHHHZ.GV4W
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 4 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1161283
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164414
Location: Waltham, North East Lincolnshire, DN37
County: North East Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Waltham
Built-Up Area: Waltham
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Waltham All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TA 20 SE
HIGH STREET (south side),
Church of All Saints
Parish church. Late C13 - early C14 tower, south aisle, arcades and
chancel. Restorations of 1867 and 1874 by James Fowler of Louth included
re-roofing, re-seating, new tower ceiling, rebuilding chancel and south
aisle, new vestry. North aisle rebuilt 1876. Tower restored and top stage
rebuilt by E W Farebrother of Grimsby. Organ chamber of 1911. Ironstone
rubble and ashlar, with limestone ashlar patching, dressings, organ chamber
and tower parapet. Slate roof. West tower, 3-bay nave with 3-bay north
aisle, 4-bay south aisle, 3-bay chancel with organ chamber and vestry
adjoining north side. C20 church hall of no special interest adjoins
central section of south aisle. 3-stage tower in Early English style:
plinth, clasping buttresses, cillband; shafted west lancet with twin lancets
above; shafted two-light plate-traceried belfry openings with pierced
quatrefoil above and dogtooth moulded surround; gargoyles, coped embattled
parapet. Plinth, buttresses to C19 organ chamber and north aisle. Latter
has C19 2-light square headed traceried north windows, pointed 3-light
traceried west window. Organ chamber: two pointed 2-light traceried
windows, C19 to right, restored C13 to left, probably re-set from chancel.
South aisle: buttresses, pointed triple-chamfered door with plain hoodmould;
C19 square-headed 3-light traceried windows, central one with original C14
head and section of hoodmould; C19 pointed 3-light traceried east and west
windows. Chancel: chamfered plinth, angle buttresses and C19 buttresses
between bays; south side has pointed chamfered door, late C14-C15 square-
headed 2-light traceried window, early C14 pointed 2-light traceried window.
Large C19 3-light traceried east window. Interior. 3-bay arcades of
pointed double-chamfered arches on quatrefoil piers with diagonal shafts
between the foils, moulded capitals and bases on diagonally-set plinths, the
north piers slightly more ornate. Wide pointed double-chamfered tower arch
on shafted responds with plain moulded capitals and bases. Blocked square-
headed door and outline of former nave gable above. Trefoiled ogee-headed
piscina to north aisle. Square-headed rood loft doorway to south aisle.
Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch with broach-stopped outer chamfer and
plain moulded capitals on chamfered jambs. Chancel: cillband to east end;
triple sedilia with detached shafts, moulded capitals and pointed moulded
arches beneath crocketed and finialed gables; double piscina formerly with
trefoiled arches (central sections now missing) beneath square hoodmould
with carved foliate ornament; pointed chamfered north door, C19 double-
chamfered arch to organ chamber. C19 roofs throughout: quadripartite timber
vaulting to tower with moulded ribs and carved boss. Brass to Joanna
Waltham (died 1420) and her son and daughter: small half-figures with
inscription below, re-set on chancel south window-cill; C14 brass
inscription to John and Mary Waltham re-set on chancel north window-cill.
Fine C14-C15 Perpendicular font has ornate octagonal bowl with carved
flowers and angels holding shields, on later shaft with trefoiled panels and
moulded base. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England:
Lincolnshire, 1978, p 415.
Listing NGR: TA2615103910
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.