This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.7793 / 54°46'45"N
Longitude: -1.5626 / 1°33'45"W
OS Eastings: 428232
OS Northings: 542797
OS Grid: NZ282427
Mapcode National: GBR KFJ5.HJ
Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.Z42G
Entry Name: Former Gilesgate Railway Station
Listing Date: 10 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1161515
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110522
Location: County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Electoral Ward/Division: Elvet and Gilesgate
Built-Up Area: Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Durham St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Durham
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE STATION LANE
NZ 2842 NW (North side)
11/464 Former Gilesgate
Railway station, now builders' merchants. 1844 by G.T. Andrews for Durham and
Sunderland Railway Company. Sandstone ashlar; Welsh slate roof. Passenger
building: one storey, 7 bays with lower 2-bay left wing and one-bay right link
to office block. Central projecting bay has keyed arch,with voussoirs on
pilasters, blocked and window inserted. Boarded door and overlight with glazing
bars in first bay, sashes with glazing bars, and inserted door in right end bay.
Eaves band and prominent cornice and blocking course. Set-back left wing has
C20 one-bay link; 2 keyed arches with pilasters and voussoirs; impost band
partly removed; cornice and blocking course. Right link obscured. Rear shows
massive boarded doors to engine shed. Interior of shed has iron trusses
supporting partly-glazed roof; wood platforms survive.
Office block at right 2 storeys, 2 bays. Steps up to 4-panelled door and
overlight in Tuscan doorcase. Canted bay at right with semicircular cellar
grille. Sill band. 2 first-floor sashes in plain reveals. Gutter board.
Low-pitched hipped roof has central and rear corniced ashlar chimneys.
Listing NGR: NZ2823242797
Other nearby listed buildings