History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House three Willows

A Grade II* Listed Building in Buckden, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2935 / 52°17'36"N

Longitude: -0.2523 / 0°15'8"W

OS Eastings: 519288

OS Northings: 267590

OS Grid: TL192675

Mapcode National: GBR J35.324

Mapcode Global: VHGM1.KMZ5

Entry Name: The Manor House three Willows

Listing Date: 24 October 1951

Last Amended: 3 June 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1161627

English Heritage Legacy ID: 54282

Location: Buckden, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE19

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

Civil Parish: Buckden

Built-Up Area: Buckden

Traditional County: Huntingdonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Buckden St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Buckden

Listing Text

BUCKDEN CHURCH STREET
TL 1867 (SOUTH SIDE)

5/11 No. 15A (THE MANOR HOUSE)
24.10.51 No. 19 (THREE WILLOWS)
AND Nos. 15 AND 17
(FORMERLY LISTED AS
THE MANOR HOUSE)
GV II*

The original late C15 building runs parallel to the street and
was possibly a guildhall, or similar public building. The
original room divisions indicate that there were two upper
halls; the ground floor is divided into four units with wide
original openings suggesting windows on the south-facing,
jettied side. The roof has plain crown-posts with braced
collars, and splayed edge-halved scarf joints to the wall
plates. In the early C17 the building was converted into the
kitchen wing of the manor house and a timber-framed and
plastered range with two gabled stair-turrets was added at right
angles to south side. To the east a timber-framed barn was
built with a cartway leading into the courtyard. Further harn
additions were made in C18 and C19. The whole house and barn
has recently been converted to four separate dwellings. Street
facade of original barn to east side, and guildhall to west
side. Two storeys. (leather boarded, and modern brick,
plastered timber-frame and painted C18 red brick with band
between the floors. Plain tile roofs. Three C20 chimney
stacks; one late C16 octagonal-shafted stack with moulded brick
cap, and one large stack with grouped diagonal shafts. Three
oak doors and double doorway to cartway. Nine first floor
windows include three horizontal sliding sashes, and three
ground floor windows include one C19 hung sash window with
glazing bars, and other small single light windows. Interior
shows clearly the structure of the early building in exposed
roof, wall frames and floor frames. Very fine C17 oak panelling
and chimney pieces to two rooms in C17 range with some
restoration; large inglenook hearths; dog-leg, closed string oak
staircase with turned balusters.
RCHM - Huntingdonshire, p38
Pevsner - Buildings of England, p216
C.R.O. Huntingdon - photographic collection


Listing NGR: TL1928867590

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.