History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Maltkiln Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Broughton, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5559 / 53°33'21"N

Longitude: -0.5168 / 0°31'0"W

OS Eastings: 498348

OS Northings: 407603

OS Grid: SE983076

Mapcode National: GBR SWTB.X1

Mapcode Global: WHGGG.1W5D

Entry Name: Maltkiln Cottage

Listing Date: 6 November 1967

Last Amended: 6 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1161633

English Heritage Legacy ID: 165985

Location: Broughton, North Lincolnshire, DN20

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Broughton

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Broughton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Brigg

Listing Text


SE 9807 BROUGHTON B 1208
(east side)
Castlethorpe
18/26 Maltkin Cottage
(formerly listed as House
6.11.67 dated 1715)

GV II

House. 1715 on datestone. Brick in Flemish bond, lower courses rendered;
colour-washed. No roof covering at time of resurvey. 2-room central
entrance-hall plan. 2 storeys, 5 bays; symmetrical. Central bay breaks
forward, with recessed half-glazed door and overlight beneath rubbed-brick
flat arch. 12-pane sashes in flush wooden architraves beneath rubbed brick
flat arches (all ground-floor openings boarded-up at time of resurvey).
Painted carved stone tablet over door has a moulded round-arched recessed
panel inscribed: N with a pair of interlocking hearts in the centre; a
T S
1715
rough band below may represent an erasure. Deep modillion brick eaves
cornice; upper mouldings to central bay somewhat damaged. Raised brick-
coped gables with brick band forming raking cornice to left return. Rebuilt
end stacks. Right return has plain board attic door with wrought-iron strap
hinges beneath timber lintel. Rear has stepped and cogged brick eaves
cornice. Interior. Good open-well staircase with ramped corniced handrail,
pulvino corniced string, plain newels and bulb-on-vase balusters. Stairhall
and first-floor rooms have bold cyma recta plaster cornices, somewhat
damaged. Architraves to doors and windows. Boxed-in spine beams to ground
floor. 8-bay clasped purlin oak roof with arched collars. An unusually
stylish rural house retaining many original details. Empty and in decay at
time of resurvey.


Listing NGR: SE9834807603

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.