History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

F W Mcaulay Cottages

A Grade II Listed Building in Aylesby, North East Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5513 / 53°33'4"N

Longitude: -0.1775 / 0°10'38"W

OS Eastings: 520840

OS Northings: 407620

OS Grid: TA208076

Mapcode National: GBR WW6C.CP

Mapcode Global: WHHHR.7ZQW

Entry Name: F W Mcaulay Cottages

Listing Date: 22 November 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1161705

English Heritage Legacy ID: 164438

Location: Aylesby, North East Lincolnshire, DN37

County: North East Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Aylesby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Aylesby St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Healing

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:

AYLESBY AYLESBY ROAD
TA 20 NW
(north side)
7/1A F W McAulay Cottages

II

Almshouses. c1920. Red brick with ashlar dressings and pantile roofs. 6 tall
square brick stacks. Coped gabled with kneelers. Single storey plus attic.
17 bay front. Centre 3 bays project slightly and are crowned by a large Dutch
gable. Central doorway with overlight, and ashlar surround with flat hood and
ashlar panel linking it with an upper sash window, which is topped by a curved,
broken pediment. Either side are single glazing bar sashes. Slightly set-back
to either side are 6 bay wings, each with 6 glazing bar sashes and above 6 raking
dormers each with a small glazing bar sash. At either end are symmetrical pavilions
with a central glazing bar sash flanked by narrow sashes with above in the gable
a single small glazing bar sash. The rear facade is very similar though with
a Doric colonnade linking all the cottages together by a covered walk. The eastern
pavilion contains the Trustees Meeting Room with an ashlar bolection mould fireplace
and simple exposed queen post roof. Some cottages retain original Royal Doulton
tiled fireplaces. These cottages were built in memory of F W McAulay; Captain
who fell in action at Fonquervillers, France, May 21 1916, aged 25.


Listing NGR: TA2084007620

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.