History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

West Lodge and Attached Gatepiers to South

A Grade II Listed Building in Moreton cum Alcumlow, Cheshire East

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1366 / 53°8'11"N

Longitude: -2.2534 / 2°15'12"W

OS Eastings: 383143

OS Northings: 359966

OS Grid: SJ831599

Mapcode National: GBR 12P.747

Mapcode Global: WHBC6.CF58

Entry Name: West Lodge and Attached Gatepiers to South

Listing Date: 26 March 1987

Last Amended: 5 February 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1161798

English Heritage Legacy ID: 56506

Location: Moreton cum Alcumlow, Cheshire East, CW12

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Moreton cum Alcumlow

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Astbury St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Congleton

Listing Text

In the entry for:-

MORETON CUM ALCUMLOW CONGLETON ROAD
SJ 85 NW
7/35 West Lodge
-
- II

The address shall be amended to read:-
CONGLETON ROAD

West lodge and
attached gatepiers
to south

The following sentence shall be added to the description:-

Gatepiers to south, octagonal on plinth with weathered caps over moulded cornice,
surmounted by fleur de lis finials.

------------------------------------
MORETON CUM ALCUMLOW C.P. CONGLETON ROAD
SJ 85 NW
7/35 West Lodge
-
- II

Gate lodge to Great Moreton Hall. c. 1841-3. By Edward Blore.
Yellow sandstone ashlar with a C20 roof of cement tiles. Single
storey. T-shaped plan. Entrance front: projecting gabled bay at
right which has a canted bay with moulded plinth and three C20 lights
to the centre and casements to the angles. Above is a brattished
parapet behind which is a hipped roof of ashlar projecting up into the
gable which has moulded kneelers and a moulded coping with a finial.
To the apex of the gable is a canopied niche which contains the Ackers
shield hanging from a stylised leather strap with buckle. To the left
of this is a recessed portion and to the re-entrant angle is a gabled
porch which has a panelled wooden door and a quatrefoil to the gable
which has a moulded coping and a kneeler to left with a finial to the
apex. Blank walling to left of this. To the juncture of the ridges
is a chimney stack of ashlar with 4 octagonal chimney pots all with
brattishing to the top. To the rear is a C20 extension with a flat
roof.


Listing NGR: SJ8314359966

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.