History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade I Listed Building in Broughton, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5655 / 53°33'55"N

Longitude: -0.5514 / 0°33'5"W

OS Eastings: 496036

OS Northings: 408625

OS Grid: SE960086

Mapcode National: GBR SWL6.DM

Mapcode Global: WHGGF.HNM0

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 6 November 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1161801

English Heritage Legacy ID: 165995

Location: Broughton, North Lincolnshire, DN20

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Broughton

Built-Up Area: Broughton (North Lincolnshire)

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Broughton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Brigg

Listing Text


SE 9608 BROUGHTON HIGH STREET
(south side)

17/36 Church of St Mary

6.11.67
GV I

Parish church. C11 lower section of tower and stair-turret, C12-C13
chancel, early C14 south arcade, later C14 north arcade, C14-C15 aisles,
clerestory and top stage to tower. North chapel rebuilt 1670-71 for
Anderson family. Restorations of 1824 to aisles, nave roof; chancel partly
restored in 1871; restorations of 1884-85 included re-flooring, re-seating,
repairs to windows, new eastern aisle arches, south porch; 1891 repairs to
north windows; chancel re-roofed 1931; C20 vestry. Tower of roughly-coursed
limestone rubble, herringbone rubble and squared limestone with ashlar
dressings, stair-turret of large dressed stones, including re-used Roman
gritstone; coursed rubble to east end of north aisle, chancel and north
chapel; ashlar to vestry, squared limestone to remainder. Ashlar dressings
throughout. Slate roofs to nave and chancel, lead roofs to remainder. West
tower with south door and western round stair-turret, 3-bay aisled nave with
south porch and vestry adjoining north side, 2-bay chancel with 2-bay
Anderson chapel adjoining north side and single-bay organ-chamber to south.
Plinth, quoins. 2-stage tower. Tall first stage: side-alternate quoins;
round-arched door of 2 orders, the inner plain and the outer roll-moulded on
chamfered through-imposts supported by shafts with cushion capitals; 2
narrow round-headed south windows above; inscribed ashlar sundial dated
1781, moulded string course. Second stage: pointed 2-light belfry openings
with Perpendicular tracery; string course, restored coped embattled parapet
with crocketed pinnacles. Stair-turret to first stage has 3 narrow lighting
slits, low conical roof. North aisle: restored 4-centred arch 3-light
cinquefoiled windows. Square-headed trefoiled windows to vestry. South
aisle: restored square-headed 2-light and 3-light windows with Perpendicular
tracery. Clerestory: restored square-headed 2-light and 3-light trefoiled
windows. Chancel: C19 angle buttresses; C13 lancet and pointed chamfered
door to south, C13 pointed 3-light east window, re-set in 1871, with
geometric tracery, hood-mould and headstops. Organ-chamber: C19 square-
headed 2-light window similar to south aisle. North chapel: restored
square-headed 3-light cinquefoiled window, two C19-C20 square-headed 2-light
traceried windows; angle pinnacles. Porch: angle buttresses with crocketed
pinnacles flanking shafted pointed outer doorway with hood-mould and
headstops; crocketed ogee-arched niche above with figures of Madonna and
child beneath gable with finial and gargoyles. Restored C14 pointed wave-
moulded inner arch of 2 orders with hood-mould. Interior. Fine round-
headed tower arch (formerly chancel arch) has west face of 2 square orders
with bold chamfered through-imposts and stepped-in shafts with cushion
capitals, the northern shaft much worn by knife-sharpening; east face has
single shafted order. Square-headed east doorway above. Interior of tower
has original Cll plaster, small round-headed door to stair-turret with
projecting jambs. Spiral staircase has separate stone newel-column and
steps with plastered vaulting beneath, narrow square-headed doorway to upper
tower chamber. Nave arcades of pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal
piers and responds with plain moulded capitals and bases to south, more
ornate capitals and bases to north with ballflower ornament to abaci. Image
bracket to north-east pier with carved head and upraised arms. Anglo-Saxon
carved interlace stone re-set beneath south-west pier; Romanesque moulded
bases re-set beneath north piers. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch and
responds with moulded capitals; some Romanesque chevron-moulded stones re-
used for arch. Small ogee-headed niche above. Chancel has deeply-splayed
round-headed south window truncated by C19 inserted pointed arch to organ
chamber; small trefoiled piscina with restored base; C19 shafted surround
and hood-mould to east window. Fine C14 monument to Redford family on north
side of chancel has chest-tomb beneath arched opening with adjoining doorway
to north chapel, with cusped panelling to 4-centred arches, hood-moulds with
ballflower ornament and large headstops, ashlar chest-tomb with carved side
panels bearing coats of arms in cusped fields, and re-set late C14 - early
C15 alabaster effigies of knight and lady. Below is a fine late C14 brass
(also probably to Redford family) with large figures of knight and lady
holding hearts, he with lion at feet, she with a hound, beneath a crocketed
ogee canopy, with indents for former side canopies, shields and flanking
shafts. Anderson chapel contains fine alabaster and black marble standing
wall monument of 1671 to Sir Edmund Anderson and other members of Anderson
family, attributed to Jasper Latham: semi-reclining full-size figure in
contemporary costume with book, on chest-tomb with oval inscribed tablets in
pilastered elliptically-arched surrounds with ornate carved festoons,
ribbons etc above. Pair of flanking square columns carrying pedestals with
inscribed oval medallions and ornate cartouches with arms. Fine alabaster
wall tablet above to Sir Edmund Anderson of 1676 with inscribed oval panel
flanked by open scrolls, carved swags and arms below and cornice above
carrying flaming lamps and scrolled pediment with bust. Re-set against
chapel south wall: section of Cl0-Cll stone with carved interlace and cable
moulding, probably part of former cross-shaft; C13 ashlar tomb-slab with
cross in relief. Ornate oak chancel screen of 1892, C19 font. The knight
effigy, reputed to be that of Sir Henry Redford of Castlethorpe (d1404), was
removed from an earlier north chapel when the Anderson monument was built,
and replaced another effigy on the chancel chest-tomb. Drawings by
C Nattes, 1795, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library; N Pevsner and
J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 203-4; Associated
Architectural Societies' Reports and Papers, 1905, vol 28, pt 1, x-xii;
H and J Taylor, Anglo-Saxon Architecture, 1965 , vol 1, p 115-116.


Listing NGR: SE9604008626

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.