History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rowley Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Rowley, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7805 / 53°46'49"N

Longitude: -0.5213 / 0°31'16"W

OS Eastings: 497532

OS Northings: 432584

OS Grid: SE975325

Mapcode National: GBR SSSQ.XK

Mapcode Global: WHGFG.Y7XN

Entry Name: Rowley Manor

Listing Date: 7 February 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1161824

English Heritage Legacy ID: 164733

Location: Rowley, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU20

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Rowley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Rowley St Peter

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Little Weighton

Listing Text

ROWLEY Rowley
SE 93 SE
6/91 Rowley Manor
7.2.68
GV II

Rectory, now a hotel. Principal block of c1710 for Rev William Hildyard,
raised by a storey, and east wind added, for Rev Robert Croft (rector 1786-
1831). West wing completed 1921. Interior furnishings added after the
rectory became a private house in 1924. Red brick with stone dressings,
timber eaves cornice, slate roofs. Rusticated quoins to principal block of
3 storeys, 5 bays. Centre bay breaks forward to C20 glazed door with
overlight with glazing bars flanked to right and left by sashes with glazing
bars and sills under flat gauged brick arches. First floor: 5 similar
sashes. Second floor: five C20 replacement windows with glazing bars and
sills under slightly canted gauged brick arches. Moulded timber eaves
cornice, hipped roof, end and axial stacks. Late C18 wing to right:
2 storeys, single-bay width. Sashes with glazing bars and sills to ground
and first floors. Hipped roof. Wing to left has scattered fenestration of
sashes and garden doors with glazing bars. Hipped roof, end and front roof-
pitch stacks. Present entrance to rear of main block. Interior: fine early
C18 closed-string stair, of pine, with square section newels with pendants
and heavy twisted balusters supporting moulded and ramped handrail. Ramped
dado with bolection moulded panels. North room of the east wing is entirely
lined with early C18 pine panelling: large raised and fielded panels and
panelled dado, with fields enriched with egg-and-dart, incorporating a
fireplace in an eared surround with a frieze with festoons and a shell.
Elaborate overmantel with carved wicker basket from which fall festoons and
drops of fruit and flowers. Door of 6 enriched raised and fielded panels in
an eared architrave with bead-and-reel ornament under a carved pulvinated
frieze and broken pediment. Deep modillion eaves cornice around the room.
Each of the south rooms of the early block (now one room) has similar
fireplaces in eared surrounds under pulvinated friezes with deep foliage
carving and elaborate cornices. The panelled overmantels have been largely
re-made. Dentilled cornice enriched with egg and dart. A first-floor room
in the early block has a bolection-moulded fireplace.


Listing NGR: SE9753232584

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.