History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bempton, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.131 / 54°7'51"N

Longitude: -0.1786 / 0°10'43"W

OS Eastings: 519109

OS Northings: 472099

OS Grid: TA191720

Mapcode National: GBR WN6N.3X

Mapcode Global: WHHF1.7F6H

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 30 June 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1161842

English Heritage Legacy ID: 166787

Location: Bempton, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO15

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Bempton

Built-Up Area: Bempton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Bempton St Michael

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Bempton

Listing Text

TA 17 SE BEMPTON CHURCH LANE
(east side)

6/14 Church of St Michael
30.6.66
GV II *


Church. Early C13 nave arcades, C14 west tower, chancel 1829, C19 south
porch. Major restorations 1870, 1906. Ashlar, brick chancel partly
pebble dashed, slate roofs. 2-bay chancel, 4-bay aisled nave, south
porch, and west tower. Chancel south wall has 2 windows of 3 round-
headed lights under square head, round-headed south door between with
datestone 1829 over. Plain 3-light square-headed window with mullions
in north wall. 5-light east window with 3 round-headed lights above,
under pointed arch with hood-mould. Nave windows have C19 cusped
tracery. South clerestory has circular windows with cusped cross-
tracery: on the north side, 2-light windows under flat heads. West
tower of 2 plain lower stages and octagonal belfry stage, separated by
stringcourses. 2-light belfry openings with Curvilinear tracery under
battlemented parapet. West window of 2 trefoil-headed lights with
quatrefoil over. Interior has timber chancel screen of about 1829:
4 square-section fluted columns carrying elliptical arches with
keyblocks; panelling above incorporates Royal Arms. Nave arcade of
double-chamfered round arches on alternating round and octagonal piers
with round and octagonal abaci. Early C13 goblet-shaped font with
stiff-leaf ornament to base. 2 bells, 1 of c.1361.


Listing NGR: TA1910972099

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.