History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barham Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Linton, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0908 / 52°5'26"N

Longitude: 0.2962 / 0°17'46"E

OS Eastings: 557406

OS Northings: 246094

OS Grid: TL574460

Mapcode National: GBR MB6.X9N

Mapcode Global: VHHKS.2QY1

Entry Name: Barham Hall

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1161958

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51888

Location: Linton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB21

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Linton

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Linton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Bartlow

Listing Text

TL 5646 LINTON BARTLOW ROAD
(South-West Side)

16/75 Barham Hall
22.11.67
II*


Farmhouse. Medieval, early C16 and possibly C17 with c.1800 alterations.
Flint rubble, timber-framed and plastered and early C19 red brick. Plain
tiled roofs. End stack to left hand and tall square planned ridge stack to
right of centre; two rear stacks. Two storeys. Main east-west range with
three unit plan and gabled mid C17 rear extensions including surviving
medieval wall up to first floor height; refaced in south and west elevations
c.1800. C16 jettied north-south range to rear from east end reduced to two
bays in 1954. South elevation: Entrance to left of centre with reeded
wooden architrave, projecting cornice with fitted pelmet, panelled reveals
and four-panelled half-glazed door with flanking three-light hung sash
windows and two twelve-paned hung sash windows to right hand in segmental
brick arches. Five first floor recessed twelve-paned hung sash windows.
Interior: Early C16 range with wind braced side purlin roof and ogee-moulded
ceiling beams (qv the Guildhall), C17 roll-moulded inserted bressumer, coeval
with gabled rear extensions. Exposed timber-frame, early C17 panelling
reused beside stair. The farmhouse was possibly built by John Millicent
c.1560 on the site of the convent of the Crutched Friars called Barham
Priory, dissolved in 1539. The jettied C16 range may have been the manor
court hall where Robert Millicent is said in 1577 to have held four courts
annually. It remained the property of the Millicent family until 1748. In
c.1807 it was bequeathed to Pembroke College Cambridge. In 1954 the building
was renovated, when some original windows were found and the C18 brewhouse
demolished.

V.C.H. Vol. VI, pp67, 98
R.C.H.M. Reports 1951, 1954
Stevens, R L Linton, P.C. Pub. p14 (and unpublished records)
Millicent R, Map 1600 Pembroke College


Listing NGR: TL5740646094

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.