This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.1897 / 50°11'22"N
Longitude: -5.1897 / 5°11'22"W
OS Eastings: 172415
OS Northings: 37057
OS Grid: SW724370
Mapcode National: GBR Z6.41W8
Mapcode Global: FRA 080J.B0J
Entry Name: Stithians Methodist Church (Formerly Penmennor Methodist Church)
Listing Date: 17 June 1988
Last Amended: 18 January 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1161993
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66234
Location: Stithians, Cornwall, TR3
Civil Parish: Stithians
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Stithians
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 73 NW STITHIANS HENDRA
1533/2/248 Stithians Methodist Church
17.06.88 Methodist Church)
Methodist chapel. Datestone 1865. Faced granite entrance front with rock-faced granite ashlar to basement, plinth and rusticated granite dressings, otherwise granite rubble. Dry Delabole slate roof with pedimented gable to front.
Plan: Rectangular aisle-less plan with canted vestry and organ loft projecting from the middle of the rear. Entrance hall and pair of gallery stairs at the front, gallery on 4 sides. Schoolroom in basement. Circa 1900 small chapel built over former trap house and stable at right.
Exterior: 2 storey elevations over basement as plinth. Symmetrical 3 window north (ritual west) entrance front with triangular pediment with name and date plaques. Wide elliptically-arched rusticated central doorway with original pair of 4-panel doors and elliptical fanlight. Wide flight of granite steps in front of doorway complete with original iron balustrades. Segmental arches over ground floor window, round arches to first floor (gallery) windows. Rusticated quoins, jambstones and voussiors, mid floor string and moulded pediment. Original windows throughout: fixed 9-pane lights to ground floor of front; hornless sashes with fanlight heads to first floor of front and 12-pane horned sashes to sides and rear.
Interior: Complete interior with gallery on 4 sides. The central ground floor pews and the gallery pews are the original box pews. The cantelivered front of the gallery is carried on shaped brackets over Tuscan columns. Rostrum has bowed front. There are moulded ceiling cornices and an ornate domed central rose. The schoolroom also has an original rostrum and the rooms under the organ loft (a small meeting room and vestry are also unaltered.
Listing NGR: SW7241537057
Other nearby listed buildings