History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade I Listed Building in Linton, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.0964 / 52°5'46"N

Longitude: 0.2787 / 0°16'43"E

OS Eastings: 556187

OS Northings: 246676

OS Grid: TL561466

Mapcode National: GBR MB5.K8H

Mapcode Global: VHHKR.SK6R

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162094

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51904

Location: Linton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB21

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Linton

Built-Up Area: Linton

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Linton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(East Side)

16/91 Parish Church of
22.11.67 St Mary the Virgin


Parish church. South aisle c,1200 part of a larger cruciform church rebuilt
c,1300 and later. Chancel c.1300 and north nave arcade. West tower early
C14 reducing length of earlier nave by c.7 feet with arcade remains in south
face. Paris chapel late C15 added on south side of chancel, and north chapel
c.1500 formerly known as the Millicent chapel now housing the organ. Aisle
walls rebuilt and clerestory added c.1500 or later, blocking the earlier
clerestory windows and uncovered in C19 above south arcade. Restoration work
includes rebuilding of south arcade by removal of large pier (possibly of the
original crossing), in 1870. Gallery, pews and three-decker pulpit removed
1872. Nave and aisle reroofed 1883-8, 1927 by Fawcett and 1936, 1891 tower
strengthened and 1910 plaster removed from walls. (A spire is illustrated in
Millicents map of Linton c.1600). Walls of flint rubble with dressings of
clunch and limestone. Roofs of lead and red plain tiles. South elevation:
Tower of three stages with moulded strings and plinth continuous around angle
buttresses. Embattled parapet, lancet-light and asymmetric gargoyle.
Embattled nave and aisle parapets, four cinquefoil three-light clerestory
windows with drip moulds and four-centred arches, and five similar but larger
aisle and chapel windows. Buttresses of two stages divide aisle bays. South
porch restored with embattled parapet and two-centred arch to opening.
Chancel without buttresses and cinquefoil three-light window with inset
priest's door. Sundial in aisle parapet, C18 and two on buttress medieval
and later. Interior: Nave, south arcade of five and a half bays with
two-centred arches of two moulded orders with alternate round and octagonal
piers with moulded capitals and restored bases, the two eastern most arches
are C19 replacing an original pier, above the arcade are three c.1200
clerestory windows, circular and quatrefoil. North arcade of three bays with
two-centred arches of two chamfered orders with quatrefoil piers and responds
with moulded caps and modern bases. South doorway restored with moulded
jambs and two-centred head. Chancel arch of two chamfered orders on triple
shafted responds with moulded caps and modern bases; wide four-centred
arched north wall opening to Millicent chapel with moulded caps and bases;
vestry door C15 or C16 with patterned hinges; western half of south wall a
two bay arcade to the Paris chapel. C17 panelling to north wall and vestry.
Modern gothic-style reredos with some C15 tracery. Tower arch two-centred of
three continuous orders. Belfry doorway with a C14 caernavon arch. Chancel
roof C14, braced collar rafter type. Nave roof C15 of four bays, embattled
cornice and tiebeam braced with carved braces to wall posts with octagonal
pilasters on carved stone corbels, moulded principal rafters and cusped posts
above tiebeam. Font, C14 octagonal bowl on shafted stem with late C15 or
early C16 font cover crocketed at the corners. Pulpit with some C15
tracery. Monuments. In chancel to Mary Fisher and others 1807; in south
chapel limestone floor slab defaced C17 or C18, black marble floor slab to
Magdeline Paris 1650, monument of clunch and black marble with apron swags
and deaths head and pediment with cartouche of arms surmounted by an urn to
Timothy Bedford, Fellow of Trinity College 1691; south aisle large monument
in white and grey marble of an obelisk and urn flanked by two figures
standing on a bow fronted pedestal with an inscription panel to Eliz wife of
Thos Bacon of Catley Park and her brother Peter Standley of Paxton Place
Hunts. 1726, 1780, signed J. Wilton Scuplt 1782, nearby small floor slab of
black marble inscribed 'Here under are interred the remains of Elizabeth
Bacon and Peter Standley Esqr'. North chapel to east wall large monument
of painted clunch with inset marble panels of two stages and embellished with
architectural detail, to John Millicent and Alice his wife and others 1655,
white marble composition with cartouche of arms to Charles Wright, Dr of
Theology and Professor of Arabic at Cambridge University with no date, white
marble slab to Elizabeth Owen 1805, grey marble to Edward Chapman 1695.
North aisle white marble tablet with urn to Sarah Lonsdale 1806, Grecian
composition to Robert Millicent 1740 and Rev. Christopher Lonsdale 1785, wall
monument of marble of three colours, gilded with swag cartouche and two
cherubs to Robert Flack 1704 and Anne his wife 1705, similar monument
surmounted by a bust to Susanne Green 1693, and another similar monument to
George Flack with no date. Wall monument in tower of white marble with oval
in border of swags and cherubs with cartouche of arms to John Lone 1700 and
his wife 1702, similar monument to John Line 1702. South aisle monuments,
marble tablet in Grecian style signed by Westmacott London, to Elizabeth Owen
1803. Monument brass Henry Paris 1427 figure in armour, Sir John Millicent
1577 and his wife. Glass C15 or C16 reset in west window of south wall of
south aisle.

R.C.H.M. Report 1951
V.C,fl. Vol. VI, p
Fawcett. Linton Church P.C.A.S. Vol. VII, Church Warden Accounts, 1884-1928
Palmer, W.M. Linton Church, 1909
Pevsner. Buildings of England, p424
Cole, W. Notes on Monuments, 1742

Listing NGR: TL5618746676

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.