History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Stedian

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stithians, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 50.1906 / 50°11'26"N

Longitude: -5.18 / 5°10'48"W

OS Eastings: 173110

OS Northings: 37131

OS Grid: SW731371

Mapcode National: GBR Z6.44DP

Mapcode Global: FRA 081J.7R4

Entry Name: Church of Saint Stedian

Listing Date: 10 July 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162143

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66258

Location: Stithians, Cornwall, TR3

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Stithians

Built-Up Area: Stithians

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Stithians

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


2/272 Church of Saint Stedian



Parish church. Base of chancel probably C13, otherwise C15. Restored in the C18 and
heavily restored in 1873. Granite ashlar lower and south aisle, otherwise granite
rubble with granite dressings. Dry Delabole slate roofs with granite coped gable
Plan: Nave/chancel under one roof; C15 west tower; C15 north aisle; C19 north porch
and C15 south aisle.
Exterior: Complete C15, 3-stage embattled and pinnacled west tower except for C19
tracery inserted to 3-light window over 4-centred arch west doorway. Strings
dividing stages and buttresses set back from the corners. C19 clock faces to middle
stage. Original 3-light traceried louvred windows to upper stage. Apart from the
tower, the church had all its windows replaced in the C19. In the north wall are
vestiges of a C18 flat arch. There is an ancient carved stone fragment over the east
window of the north aisle. In the south wall is a C15 3-centred priest's doorway and
a C15 4-centred doorway.
Interior: C15 5-bay standard A (Pevsner) north arcade - with 2 centred arches; C15
6-bay south arcade with square piers with engaged shafts and squat 4-centred arches.
The walls have been stripped of plaster; the roofs are C19 scissor braced.

Listing NGR: SW7311037131

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.