History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Oswald

A Grade II* Listed Building in Flamborough, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1127 / 54°6'45"N

Longitude: -0.1258 / 0°7'32"W

OS Eastings: 522615

OS Northings: 470155

OS Grid: TA226701

Mapcode National: GBR WNKW.KG

Mapcode Global: WHHF2.1WCJ

Entry Name: Church of St Oswald

Listing Date: 30 June 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162230

English Heritage Legacy ID: 166816

Location: Flamborough, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO15

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Flamborough

Built-Up Area: Flamborough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Flamborough St Oswald

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Flamborough

Listing Text

TA 27 SW FLAMBOROUGH CHURCH STREET
(south side)

7/48 Church of St Oswald
30.6.66
- II*


Church. c1100 largely rebuilt 1864 by R G Smith of Hull. South porch
1893, west tower 1896. Ashlar with cobbles, slate roofs. West tower,
4-bay aisled nave, south porch, chancel. Chancel aisles have 3-light
flat-headed windows with trefoils, clerestory has circular windows with
cusped cross-tracery. Nave aisles have 2-light windows with cusped ogee
tracery, nave clerestory plain 2-light windows with stone mullions under
square heads. 3-stage west tower has plinth; stages marked by string-
courses: clasping buttresses to lower stage. 3-light west window and
2-light belfry openings, all with Perpendicular tracery. Sculpted
figure in canopied niche on tower south wall, first floor. Coped gables
throughout, cross finial to chancel. Nave arcades with octagonal piers,
pointed arches of 2 orders with broad chamfers. C12 chancel arch with
rich roll-mouldings, additional roll to nave, and scalloped capitals.
C15 chancel screen, probably from Bridlington Priory: central opening
flanked by two 2-light openings, each with fretted tracery. Rood loft
over with 15 canopies with crocketed finials all under a running vine-
scroll, with fretted band above. C12 font with all-over lozenge
ornament. Fragment of effigy with toad at the heart beneath brass
inscription to Sir Marmaduke Constable, died 1520, to north of altar.
Andrew Marvell, the father of the poet, was the incumbent here
1609-1612.


Listing NGR: TA2261570155

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.