This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3675 / 50°22'3"N
Longitude: -4.2194 / 4°13'9"W
OS Eastings: 242257
OS Northings: 54314
OS Grid: SX422543
Mapcode National: GBR NS.V818
Mapcode Global: FRA 2812.B0S
Entry Name: The Range Wall and Martini Henry Butts at Trevol Range
Listing Date: 26 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1162264
English Heritage Legacy ID: 61987
Location: Torpoint, Cornwall, PL11
Civil Parish: Torpoint
Built-Up Area: Torpoint
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Torpoint
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 45 SW TORPOINT H.M.S. RALEIGH
6/336 The range wall and Martini-Henry
butts at Trevol Range
Range wall and Martini-Henry butts. Wall dated 1898, with later additions to wings;
Martini-Henry butts of earlier date, probably circa 1880. Wall of snecked rockfaced
limestone rubble, butts of random rubble with brick copings.
Range wall has splayed wing to each side. Martini-Henry butts to east have cover
block to each end with walls between to front and rear.
Range wall is about 50 metres high and about 100 metres long, wings rebuilt and
ramped down, giving additional protection against fire scatter.
Martini-Henry butts have rectangular roofless block to each end, connected by rear
wall, with a segmental-headed opening to rear and to each side. Wall battered to
rear with buttresses. Ditch between front and rear walls. Rear wall about 3 metres
The gun was designed by the Swiss, Frederich von Martini, with the barrel later
modified by Alexander Henry of Edinburgh. The Martini-Henry rifle was adopted as the
British service weapon in April, 1871. There would have been granite markers for
firing into the butts at intervals of 150, 200, 300 and 400 yards.
(Sources: Smith, W.H.B. : The Small Arms of the World. 1960).
Listing NGR: SX4225754314
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings