This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4349 / 50°26'5"N
Longitude: -4.1744 / 4°10'27"W
OS Eastings: 245677
OS Northings: 61706
OS Grid: SX456617
Mapcode National: GBR NV.PTX7
Mapcode Global: FRA 274X.3JQ
Entry Name: Warleigh House
Listing Date: 29 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1162274
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99124
Location: Bickleigh, South Hams, Devon, PL5
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Bickleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 46 SE BICKLEIGH WARLEIGH
29-3-60 Warleigh House
Country house in use as a nursing home; former seat of the Radcliffes. C16 with
earlier stone vaulted cellars under north wing, and refashioned by John Foulston in
1825 to 32 when north-west wing was built. Stone now roughcast with ashlaring. Slate
gabled roof. E-shaped on plan with further wings to north and north-west.
Two and a half storeys 1:2:1:2:1 bays. Flanking one bay wings and central 3-storeyed
porch all gabled. Early C19 sash windows with Gothick square hoodmoulds. Central
large moulded granite 4-centred arch doorway with carved spandrels and arms in relief
in the tympanum. The inner door also moulded granite with carved spandrels. Moulded
lead rainwater heads, downpipes and gutter. Circa 1825-32 north-west wing at rear
with embattled parapets and Gothick windows. Long 2-storey, 6-bay rear wing across
north side with C16 two and 3-light granite mullion windows with 4-centred arch lights
and hoodmoulds, and with moulded granite doorways with carved spandrels. At the east
end of this wing is the chapel with C19 Perpendicular traceried window in gable end.
Interior: Retains 2-storeyed hall, with wide moulded granite fireplace, but remodelled
in C18 with moulded plaster frieze and cornice and wooden balustrade to gallery. Two
moulded granite 4-centred arch doorways to screens passage. Wide C18 dogleg staircase
from hall with moulded string balusters, moulded handrail ramped up to square newels
and fielded panel dado. Staircase well light by circular lantern and with modillion
cornice. North-west room has Gothick marble chimneypiece and Gothick cornice.
Library in south-east wing has bolection moulded panelling, plaster cornice breaks
forward over chimney breast with early C19 chimney piece. Kitchen wing on north-east
side has very wide moulded 4-centred arch fireplaces and service doorways, one with
old nail-studded door.
Reference: Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, pages 318 and 319.
Listing NGR: SX4585561783
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings