History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Providence United Reformed Church

A Grade II Listed Building in North Middleton, Rochdale

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5515 / 53°33'5"N

Longitude: -2.1946 / 2°11'40"W

OS Eastings: 387203

OS Northings: 406108

OS Grid: SD872061

Mapcode National: GBR FW3C.NM

Mapcode Global: WHB93.8Z6S

Entry Name: Providence United Reformed Church

Listing Date: 23 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162278

English Heritage Legacy ID: 213453

Location: Rochdale, M24

County: Rochdale

Electoral Ward/Division: North Middleton

Built-Up Area: Middleton (Rochdale)

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Middleton St Leonard

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Middleton

Listing Text

MIDDLETON MARKET PLACE
SD 80 NE
(north side)
2/14 Providence
- United Reformed
Church
- II
Chapel. 1859-60. Flemish bond brick with ashlar dressings
and slate roof. 4-sided gallery plan. Gable-pedimented
elevation with projecting plinth, first floor sill band,
rusticated quoins and paired entrances. The 6-panel doors
have fanlights and an entablature on flat pilasters.
segment-headed windows to either side and 4 round-arched
first floor windows with pilasters, keystones and circular
tracery. The pediment has elementary brick modillions,
polychromatic brick patterning and a central oculus with
mouchette tracery and arabesque surround. 6-bay side
elevations with similar windows on 2 levels and an eaves
cornice. Interior: virtually complete with the panelled
gallery parapet sweeping round at each end supported on
cast-iron columns. The box pews follow a similar curve in
the gallery. Organ chamber in arched recess occupying north
gallery behind a tall panelled pulpit approached by opposed
steps with cast-iron railings. Many interesting features
survive including the original hymn number board, the
plaster ceiling and cornice, early C20 light fittings and
leaded glass.


Listing NGR: SD8720306108

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.