History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Trinity

A Grade II Listed Building in Snaith and Cowick, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6868 / 53°41'12"N

Longitude: -1 / 1°0'0"W

OS Eastings: 466135

OS Northings: 421616

OS Grid: SE661216

Mapcode National: GBR PTGT.93

Mapcode Global: WHFDH.ML0G

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 16 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162293

English Heritage Legacy ID: 164943

Location: Snaith and Cowick, East Riding of Yorkshire, DN14

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Snaith and Cowick

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Great Snaith

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Carlton

Listing Text

SNAITH AND COWICK SNAITH ROAD
SE 62 SE
(north side)
East Cowick
3/82 Church of The Holy
Trinity
GV II
Parish church. 1853-4 by William Butterfield for William Henry Dawnay,
seventh Viscount Downe. Built by Charles Ward of Lincoln. Repairs of 1910
to north arcade and nave walls probably included removal of north chimney
and plastering of interior. Red brick in English bond with sandstone ashlar
dressings. Welsh slate roof. Gothic Revival style. 5-bay aisled nave with
west tower, south porch and single-bay chancel with vestry adjoining north
side. Four 3-light trefoiled windows to south aisle, 3 similar windows to
north. Nave has tripartite west end: projecting lower section carries
partly-projecting central tower with deeply-recessed pointed 2-light
traceried window beneath double-chamfered segmental-pointed arch, flanked by
single narrow 2-light traceried windows and outer buttresses, the 3 window
recesses having prominent sill string courses and sloping bases. Tower has
flanking buttresses rising above nave roof line, sill string course and
recessed 2-light plate-traceried belfry openings, and short 4-sided spire
with wrought-iron weather-vane. Chancel: chamfered plinth and angle
buttresses to east end, pointed 3-light traceried south window, sill string
course and large pointed 3-light traceried east window beneath small
circular opening and coped gable with cross finial. Porch: chamfered
plinth, pointed double-chamfered outer arch with inner chamfer dying into
jambs, pointed moulded inner arch, scissor-braced roof. Corbelled ashlar
eaves cornice to nave and to slightly lower chancel; exposed rafter ends to
aisles and porch. Steeply-pitched roofs throughout. Interior. Arcade
(with narrower west bay) of pointed moulded arches of 3 orders with
mouldings dying into chamfered square piers and responds. Pointed recess
(former fireplace) to north aisle. West end has projecting tower section
with chamfered ashlar plinth and twin buttresses flanking recessed central
window beneath double segmental pointed arches; keeled ashlar sill string
course to flanking windows. Tall double-chamfered chancel arch with
corbelled inner order; tablet to Rev Cecil Sykes of 1898 set below north
corbel in carved ashlar surround. Pointed fillet-moulded vestry door and
trefoiled chamfered piscina to chancel. 8-bay nave roof with single side-
purlins and arch-braced collars with trefoiled panels above; scissor-braced
chancel roof, boarded above the sanctuary. Walls plastered to nave and
chancel and whitewashed throughout. Large ashlar font with octagonal step,
moulded circular base and bowl with blind arcading of cusped pointed arches
on cylindrical piers; tall pointed wooden font cover with traceried panels,
suspended from ornate wrought-iron bracket. Octagonal panelled oak pulpit
with ashlar base and octagonal tester. Original oak altar rails with plain
trefoiled panels. Red, yellow and black Minton tiles to floor, those to
sanctuary with Downe crest and monogram. Inserted ornate carved oak reredos
with figures of Christ and Apostles in relief; traceried panelling of 1910
to chancel. Mid C19 stained-glass east and west windows; late C19 - early
C20 stained-glass south windows. Contemporary with the neighbouring
vicarage and school (qv) and with similar groups at nearby Hensall (North
Continued .....
Yorkshire) and Pollington (qv). Cowick Church is the largest of the 3, its
west end probably modelled on Lindisfarne (Holy Island) Church,
Northumberland. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, West
Riding, 1959, p 171. P Thompson, William Butterfield, 1971. J Killeen,
A Short History of Cowick Hall, 1967, p 27-9. R Dixon and S Muthesius,
Victorian Architecture, 1978, p 49 and p 208. Photographs in NMR.


Listing NGR: SE6613521616

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.