History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Redbourne Hall Lodge and Gateway

A Grade II Listed Building in Redbourne, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4825 / 53°28'56"N

Longitude: -0.5379 / 0°32'16"W

OS Eastings: 497123

OS Northings: 399409

OS Grid: SK971994

Mapcode National: GBR SXP5.BC

Mapcode Global: WHGGT.QQ2N

Entry Name: Redbourne Hall Lodge and Gateway

Listing Date: 6 November 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162328

English Heritage Legacy ID: 166035

Location: Redbourne, North Lincolnshire, DN21

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Redbourne

Built-Up Area: Redbourne

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Scawby and Redbourne

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Kirton in Lindsey

Listing Text


SK 9699-9799 REDBOURNE WADDINGHAM ROAD
(east side)

22/74 Redbourne Hall Lodge and
Gateway

6.11.67

GV II

Gateway, wing walls and lodge. Gateway of 1775-6 by John Carr of York, for
the Rev Robert Carter Thelwall. Later C18 - early C19 alterations, lodge
and screen wall to left for Duke of St Albans estate. Gateway and wing
walls of rough-faced limestone ashlar with smooth-faced ashlar dressings;
screen wall to left of squared limestone with ashlar dressings. Lodge of
coursed limestone rubble with rendered brick stacks and slate roof.
Wrought-iron gates. Gothick style. Tripartite gateway with central
carriage arch flanked by pedestrian arches, square turrets and wing walls
approximately 3 metres high extending approximately 6 metres to either side,
with lower outer sections extending approximately 4 metres; screen wall to
left extends approximately 30 metres to outer pier. Lodge adjoins to rear,
alongside left pedestrian gateway. Plinth. Central gateway breaks forward,
with chamfered round arch, cross-shaped arrow loops to pier, moulded impost
band extended to either side as string course, pair of ashlar relief panels
in spandrels depicting farming scenes with cattle and cow herds, moulded
string course and plain coped embattled parapet with a later raised central
pedestal bearing an ashlar tablet with Duke of St Albans' monogram and
coronet in relief and surmounted by a carved lion passant with coronet.
Chamfered round-arched pedestrian gateways with impost string courses to
either side, flanked by projecting square turrets with single cross-shaped
arrow loops and corbelled-out top stages surmounted by carved seated lions
holding shields. Wing walls: single square-headed 3-light traceried window
with Gothick glazing to lodge on left; similar dummy window to right.
String course to higher sections. Crenellated throughout. Rear elevation
has pair of ashlar relief panels in spandrels depicting maid milking and
shepherd boy with flock. Gates: pair to centre have plain bars and dog bars
with fleur-de-lys finials and scrolled panels between double bottom, middle
and top rails, the latter ramped-up to outside; similar single pedestrian
gates ramped-up to outside. Lodge: 4-room plan with central entrances to
south and east; west side adjoins gateway. South front: single storey, 3
bays; symmetrical. Quoins. Pointed entrance with recessed 6-beaded-panel
door in chamfered architrave flanked by pointed 2-light Y-traceried windows
with chamfered wooden mullions and Gothick glazing. Hipped roof; twin
diamond-shafted central stacks. Right return, facing Park, has similar door
(with 2 central glazed panels) and single similar window. The fine ashlar
relief panels, somewhat weathered, are similar to a pair in No 5. Redbourne
Hall, formerly in a stableyard wall (qv). Estate accounts record payments
for the gateway to a mason called Bell in November 1775, and to a carver
called Manning in July 1776. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of
England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 340; York Georgian Society, The Works in
Architecture of John Carr, 1973, p18.


Listing NGR: SK9712399409

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.