History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Redcroft and Fencegate and Adjoining Garden Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in North Middleton, Rochdale

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.556 / 53°33'21"N

Longitude: -2.1967 / 2°11'48"W

OS Eastings: 387063

OS Northings: 406612

OS Grid: SD870066

Mapcode National: GBR FW3B.60

Mapcode Global: WHB93.7W59

Entry Name: Redcroft and Fencegate and Adjoining Garden Wall

Listing Date: 23 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162377

English Heritage Legacy ID: 213462

Location: Rochdale, M24

County: Rochdale

Electoral Ward/Division: North Middleton

Built-Up Area: Middleton (Rochdale)

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Middleton St Leonard

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Middleton

Listing Text

MIDDLETON ROCHDALE ROAD
SD 80 NE
(north-west side)
2/22 Nos. 33 and 35
(Redcroft and
Fencegate) and
- adjoining garden
wall.
- II
2 houses. 1895. By Edgar Wood. Brick, rendered on the first
floor, with stone dressings and clay tile roof. Total of 4
bays and 2 storeys with attics and a wing to the rear.
Dentilled first floor band. Canted 2-storey bay windows in
bays 1 and 4, the latter rising through the eaves to be
terminated in a coped parapet. Each has 7-light flat-faced
stone mullion windows with leaded lights on each floor and
transoms on the ground floor only. Door in bay 3 with glazed
panels, side lights and an elliptical-arched head with brick
and stone voussoirs. Brick-mullioned windows in bay 2 with
semi-elliptical lights above. 4 and 2-light mullioned first
floor windows and a 6-light window in the gable which spans
over bays land 2 and is balanced by a gabled dormer window
in bay 4. Ridge and gable chimney stacks. Symmetry is
consciously avoided, the porch to Redcroft being on the left
return. Brick-mullioned windows to sides and rear. The
garden wall is of alternating Portland stone and iron-railed
sections on a rubble base. It incorporates a gate portal
with ogee lintel. Redcroft was the home of Edgar Wood until
about 1916.


Listing NGR: SD8706306612

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.