History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Quay Wall 40 Metres to North West of North East End of Wadebridge Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Wadebridge, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 50.5179 / 50°31'4"N

Longitude: -4.8345 / 4°50'4"W

OS Eastings: 199156

OS Northings: 72520

OS Grid: SW991725

Mapcode National: GBR ZT.9KDG

Mapcode Global: FRA 07RP.JCS

Entry Name: Quay Wall 40 Metres to North West of North East End of Wadebridge Bridge

Listing Date: 4 November 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162393

English Heritage Legacy ID: 67841

Location: Wadebridge, Cornwall, PL27

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Wadebridge

Built-Up Area: Wadebridge

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Breoke

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SW 9872-9972
9/213 Quay wall 40 metres to north west
of north east end of Wadebridge


Remains of quay walls. Circa C18 on earlier site and with earlier origins.
Slatestone rubble walls largely constructed in vertical courses with horizontal
slatestone piers forming wall to Bradford quay on north east bank of River Camel.
The warehouses on the quay have been largely replaced with C20 galvanised buildings
although part of the North Cornwall Railway station, erected in 1895 exists.
The River Camel was navigable for vessels up to 60 tons from Padstow to Wadebridge
and there was a dock capable of holding 20 barges. Bradford quay and the Town Quay
on the opposite bank of the river were used for unloading coal, slates, lime, bricks,
timber and later cement. Sea sand carried up river from Padstow to Wadebridge was
then carried inland after 1834 when the first steam railway in Cornwall was built
between Wadebridge and Bodmin.
Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, 1872
reprinted 1974
Todd, A C and Laws, P Industrial Archaelogy of Cornwall, 1972

Listing NGR: SW9915672520

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.