History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Little Paxton Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Little Paxton, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2515 / 52°15'5"N

Longitude: -0.2622 / 0°15'43"W

OS Eastings: 518727

OS Northings: 262898

OS Grid: TL187628

Mapcode National: GBR J3K.SML

Mapcode Global: VHGM7.DNRW

Entry Name: Little Paxton Hall

Listing Date: 24 October 1951

Last Amended: 12 July 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162401

English Heritage Legacy ID: 54370

Location: Little Paxton, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE19

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

Civil Parish: Little Paxton

Built-Up Area: Little Paxton

Traditional County: Huntingdonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Little Paxton St James

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Buckden

Listing Text

LITTLE PAXTON THE GROVE
TL 16 SE
3/13 PAXTON HALL
24.10.51
GV II*

Mid C17 house with two cross-wings to North and South with
c.1738 insertion between the wings of five bays. Later C19
additions to South. Red brick, and rendered brick with
limestone dressings. Plain tile roofs; parapet gables to East
of cross-wings and hipped to West. Side stacks rebuilt in red
brick. Two storeys with attics. West facing C18 facade; nine
bays with cross-wings slightly projecting. Plastered, panelled
parapet, with moulded stone cornice with dentil enrichment.
Seven gabled dormer windows with alternate segmental and
triangular pediments. C19 hung sash windows with glazing bars
in recessed, moulded stone architraves with stone sills at both
floor levels. Central replacement panelled door in stone
architrave with dentils and broken triangular pediment supported
on scroll brackets. Stone plinth. Two rainwater heads dated
1738. Interior has some original C18 moulded ceiling cornices
and plastered panels; exposed timber-frame partition wall,
newel post to original C17 dog-leg stair, C17 side purlin roofs,
with later C18 roof extension to West facade.
R.C.H.M. (Hunts.), p203


Listing NGR: TL1872762898

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.