History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old School

A Grade II Listed Building in Scawby, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5379 / 53°32'16"N

Longitude: -0.5397 / 0°32'23"W

OS Eastings: 496872

OS Northings: 405575

OS Grid: SE968055

Mapcode National: GBR SWNJ.YH

Mapcode Global: WHGGM.PB5M

Entry Name: The Old School

Listing Date: 6 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162445

English Heritage Legacy ID: 166041

Location: Scawby, North Lincolnshire, DN20

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Scawby

Built-Up Area: Scawby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Scawby and Redbourne

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Brigg

Listing Text


SE 9605-9705 SCAWBY CHURCH STREET
(north side)

19/80 The Old School

GV II

Former school. Tablet to rear inscribed 'Rebuilt'; for Sir John Nelthorpe.
AD 1854
by JN "
Extended to left in 1876, rear addition dated 1890 on tablet. Red brick
with yellow brick and sandstone ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof. Plan:
original single-classroom block to right, with 1876 single-classroom
addition to left and 1890 service extensions to rear. Single-storey twin-
gabled 2-window front, symmetrical, with pairs of entrances flanking
windows. Plinth, quoins. Projecting 4-centred arch entrances have 3 stone
steps to board doors with ornate iron escutcheons in chamfered wooden
frames, chamfered red brick reveals and yellow brick surrounds with
corbelled kneelers and ashlar-coped gables. Tall 4-centred arch 3-light
windows with moulded wooden mullions and glazing bars in chamfered yellow
brick surrounds with chamfered red brick sills. Tumbled-in brick to raised
gables with shaped kneelers. Rectangular ashlar tablets to gables beneath
hood-moulds, each with Nelthorpe arms, crest and motto in relief. Central
axial stack; small single ventilators to classroom gables. Fish-scale
slates to right and centre, plain slates to left. Right return has three 3-
light mullioned windows with glazing bars in chamfered segmental-arched
yellow brick reveals with brick sills, plain 4-course yellow brick frieze
and beaded wooden eaves board. Left return has 2 similar windows in plain
surrounds. Included for group value.


Listing NGR: SE9687205575

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.