This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4563 / 53°27'22"N
Longitude: -2.0841 / 2°5'2"W
OS Eastings: 394510
OS Northings: 395506
OS Grid: SJ945955
Mapcode National: GBR FXWG.LR
Mapcode Global: WHB9Q.YDQ6
Entry Name: Flowery Field Church (Free Christian)
Listing Date: 6 February 1986
Last Amended: 15 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1162448
English Heritage Legacy ID: 212486
Location: Tameside, SK14
Electoral Ward/Division: Hyde Newton
Built-Up Area: Hyde (Tameside)
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Newton with Flowery Field St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/01/2014
SJ 99 NW
NEWTON STREET (west side),
Flowery Field Church (Free Christian)
(Formerly listed as Flowery Field United Reformed Church)
Church. 1878. Thomas Worthington. Snecked stone with slate roof. Wide nave with east gallery, galleried transepts, south-east tower and polygonal chancel. 3-bay nave, each bay having a projecting plinth, weathered buttress, continuous sill band and 3-light flat-headed mullion and transom window with arched lights and hoodmould. Coped gables with kneelers and cross finials. The 3-stage tower has angled buttresses, a corner stair turret, 2-light windows to west and to transepts with Perpendicular tracery. Conically-roofed stair towers flank the transepts.
Interior: triple chancel arch the piers having attached columns. Cambered tie-beam roof trusses with enriched braces and arcading and a panelled timber ceiling. Other timberwork includes organ, galleries, pulpit, screens and pews. Stained glass.
Built by local mill owner Thomas Ashton for use by his employees for worship regardless of creed. The tower carries the inscription: "To the Worship of God by a Congregation bound by no Creeds or Confessions of Faith, who under the guidance of Ministers equally free to follow Truth, humbly strive to love God and to serve their Fellowmen. This Church is dedicated by Thomas Ashton of Hyde and Elizabeth, his wife. A.D. MDCCCLXXVIII. "
Listing NGR: SJ9451095506
Other nearby listed buildings